Enclosure question.

rotarhead

I have my baby chameleon in a temporary home right now. I was going to build a cage but have been doing some looking around and found that some of the screen cages already made for these guys aren't too bad price wise. Does anybody have experience or opinions on the one in the following link?

http://www.diycages.com/15201/15243.html

If you know of one that is better or looks better, etc. feel free to share. I'm open to any suggestions right now as I want to get him out of his current enclosure within the next month or so. Thanks.

I built my first one and then bought my second two from DIYcages. I love their cages, They're easy to put together, they're lightweight but sturdy and look very nice. The latches have a tendency to break off after a lot of use on some of the older cages, but the last cage I got from them hasn't had that problem yet. I could probably build another one cheaper, but the ease, sturdiness and light weight are worth it to me to just buy them.

Dont know about the DIY cages but I do know that the Reptibreeze by zoomed cages which are popular are Junk especially the bigger the size you get. and so are the Exo terra screened cages IMO. Both Garbage. I know which ones not to buy again.

Dont know about the DIY cages but I do know that the Reptibreeze by zoomed cages which are popular are Junk especially the bigger the size you get. and so are the Exo terra screened cages IMO. Both Garbage. I know which ones not to buy again.
Why are they junk?

I love my diy cages. I'm actually going to post a review tomorrow on these forums. I'll post a link on this thread when it's up.

Why are they junk?

Within 3 months I bought one at petsmart reptibreeze "small" It works yea, but when opening top door it get stuck and it is showing rust within 3months. Not to bad though very usable.

The large is a nightmare.Connecter to frame bent on both small and large. The pins to the bottom swing door wouldnt even stay in ever. So if you opened the top door the cage basically fell apart at the front. OR the bottom swing at least always came undone. Everytime you open it shakes the whole cage and not smooth at all. I just ended up putting screws through the bottom swing door.Now its still hard to open the top. I cant wait to not use it anymore soon. I really actually hate that cage.

The exo terra.. well for $120 on a really small plastic flimsy little box that you slide the door the whole frame moves. Or you go to pick it up and the bottom falls out. The only plus is it can hold water if you dont have drainage. I like how the ceiling comes off as well. Overall I rate it junk for the price. Its cheap plastic flimsy.

I really dont think I ask for much a basic screen cage that opens and closes smoothly with a decent look and not rusting. I mean these arent cheap. Im glad I only paid 80 for the XL reptibreeze through pangea when I paid 70 for the small from petsmart. they sell for like 140:eek: ...

Jack - you need to order a DIY cage next time if you're willing to try them. They assemble perfectly and don't bend easily at all (I dropped one on the corner of my porch - no bending at all) and they don't rust. They fit together well and don't fall apart when moved (plants and all inside). I have been very pleased with them and you can't complain about their prices!

The large is a nightmare.Connecter to frame bent on both small and large. The pins to the bottom swing door wouldnt even stay in ever. So if you opened the top door the cage basically fell apart at the front. OR the bottom swing at least always came undone.

Ditto. I returned mine within an hour of buying/ putting it together and opted to build my own.

Alright, no ReptiBreeze. Thanks. Oh, and I'm looking forward to that review. I would still consider making one myself but have never really worked with wood, yet alone made anything similiar to a cage. Maybe I'll make one outside and buy one for inside. Thanks for all the comments everybody.

Most of the aluminum screen cages that the site sponsors sell come from the same builder, and mine are all getting older with many of them coming from another breeder that had them in use for years before I got them-and they are all in perfect shape. They are light, sturdy, and easy to clean. You should consider how mobile you need them to be. A large cage made out of wood is heavy and subject to rot with all of the water you use for chameleons. And yes Reptibreeze's rust since they are not all aluminum.

Check out the LLL Reptile cages also. I have 8 and have be real happy with them. They have a door on the bottom for cleaning that I think the DIY cages do not. I like the color better too.:D

Check out the LLL Reptile cages also. I have 8 and have be real happy with them. They have a door on the bottom for cleaning that I think the DIY cages do not. I like the color better too.:D

I have two 4-foot cages and one 3-foot cage from LLL. I vouch for these and they are a bit cheaper then a DIY, especially when you catch the sale hehe.

shop online google

we got a 24x24x48 for 79$ online they wanted like 150$ in the petshop.
when i get home i will look up where we got it from and let you know.

I have just got a quote to bring 3 LLL cages to the uk and including shipping it's cheaper than me buying Reptibreeze here :eek:

I tried to get a quote from DIYcages, but couldn't find an email address or any International info

Which enclosure is best to keep other pets and children out? I'm not worried about them busting through the screen. Just worried about my roommate's kid opening the door so that the pets can "play".

Back
Top Bottom