Enclosure Placement?

Ivy2020

Hi everyone. Just a quick question here. We are currently remodeling my livingroom and diningroom. I have an area in the house that I thought would be a nice spot to make room for a new chameleon cage I plan to build. I feel that it would make use of the space but also be a cool placement for a chameleon cage. However, it has an air vent on the floor.

My question is, since it is winter time and we are in Minnesota, I am wondering if it is a good idea to keep my chameleon cage there? I don't know if it would be too hot and dry near an air vent? Of course we would have to move our Cham's cage in the summer, since it would be too cold near the air vent. But how would she do with heat? The cage will be about 8 feet high, so I assume that would be far away from contact with her? What do you guys think?

As always, thank you all very much!

Thank you Poseidonthechameleon! I usually keep my house at 68 to 72 degrees in the winter, but as a newbie, I'm not sure if the air exposure will be too dry for a chameleon, then I wonder if this will also effect her tropical plants I keep in her cage.

Thank you Poseidonthechameleon! I usually keep my house at 68 to 72 degrees in the winter, but as a newbie, I'm not sure if the air exposure will be too dry for a chameleon, then I wonder if this will also effect her tropical plants I keep in her cage.
I'm honestly not sure. Being dry shouldn't be a problem as long as you mist twice a day and have a dripper. Hope someone else can be of better help🙂

Is the vent pointed towards the cage? Usually the hot air coming out of the vent is hotter than the temperature you have set your thermostat to. If you set your thermostat to 68 or 70 degrees, the heater will pump out decently hot air to warm up the entire room to 68 or 70 degrees. So if the vent is super close to the cage, then your cham may be blasted with super hot air.

Here's a link that you can read about it: https://www.coolray.com/help-guides/help-my-heat-pump-is-blowing-cold-air-in-heat-mode. The article states that "Heat pumps usually produce air that is 85-92°F. This is plenty warm to heat your home to your desired 72°F." So while we have control over what temperature the room temp is, we don't really have control over the temperature that comes out of the vent. If the cage warms up to 85 degrees all the way through, this could be extremely stressful for any cham. You can always find out what the temperature of the air is by taking a temp gun and pointing it at the vent when the heat turns on. If you have gas heating, the air temp coming out may get up to 135 degrees.

Is the vent pointed towards the cage? Usually the hot air coming out of the vent is hotter than the temperature you have set your thermostat to. If you set your thermostat to 68 or 70 degrees, the heater will pump out decently hot air to warm up the entire room to 68 or 70 degrees. So if the vent is super close to the cage, then your cham may be blasted with super hot air.

Here's a link that you can read about it: https://www.coolray.com/help-guides/help-my-heat-pump-is-blowing-cold-air-in-heat-mode. The article states that "Heat pumps usually produce air that is 85-92°F. This is plenty warm to heat your home to your desired 72°F." So while we have control over what temperature the room temp is, we don't really have control over the temperature that comes out of the vent. If the cage warms up to 85 degrees all the way through, this could be extremely stressful for any cham. You can always find out what the temperature of the air is by taking a temp gun and pointing it at the vent when the heat turns on. If you have gas heating, the air temp coming out may get up to 135 degrees.
Thank you so much! This is very good information. In that case, I will build the cage away from the vent.

Their are also hot air diverters.
1607872974620.png

They've been around for as long as I can remember. They're often used on registers along walls under floor-length draperies to prevent the drapes from blowing around when the furnace kicks on. They also help keep the drapes clean of dust being blown into them.
Lol I guess I'm late to the party on these! Hmm that's a good idea about using these to keep the curtains from blowing around too 🤔 I may have to stop at the store today and pick these up.

Lol I guess I'm late to the party on these! Hmm that's a good idea about using these to keep the curtains from blowing around too 🤔 I may have to stop at the store today and pick these up.
Measure your registers first. Registers come in different sizes, and so do the diverters. Most of these diverters are adjustable, but to avoid hassles... ;)

Back
Top Bottom