Enclosure list acceptable?

Brandi

Hey everyone.

Okay, I have assembled a list of things I will need when I obtain my chameleon. I found a good deal on a cage that was 24 x 24 x 36, a cage can never be too big, right? I was formerly going to order a 18 x 18 x 24, but the bigger one was only around 20 bucks more, so why not? Or should I go with the smaller?

List:

*24 x 24 x 36 inch Aluminum Screen Cage

*Zoo Med '18 Reptisun 5.0 UVB Bulb

*20' fluorescent hood fixture

*Zoo Med Rheostat 150 Watts

*24 Hour Basic Timer

*Flukers Digital Thermometer/Humidity Guage

*Zoo Med 100 watt Powersun UVB heat bulbs

*Zoo Med regular black ceramic clip lamp

*Mister/dripping system + handheld bottle sprayer [manual]

*Live pothos and maybe a hibiscus

*Branches for climbing [Not from outside!]

This is a work-in-progress list of things I need for the caging. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brandi

you wouldn't need the powersun if you get the reptisun 5.0. just use a regular bulb thats not a coil bulb. the bigger cage should be fine.

Here is my basic checklist for a baby veiled:

-a screen cage of appropriate size (baby:16x16x30, adult female 18x18x36, adult male 24x24x48) you can also buy the adult sized cage and just section off the bottom so it is smaller
-live plants that are non toxic and have covered organic fertilizer free soil
-a normal incandescent house bulb of appropriate wattage
-a dome to put the house bulb in
-a linear reptisun 5.0 and appropriate hood
-a digital thermometer or temp gun to check temperature
-a digital hygrometer to check humidity (you can buy a 2 in 1 thermometer/hygrometer)
-three supplements: calcium with d3, calcium without d3, and a multivitamin that contains no vit A (make sure all are phos free)
-a pump style spray bottle to spray chameleon
-a dripper of some sort
-drainage for the water so that the cage does not flood
-many horizontal, vertical, and diagonal branches/vines/perches make sure there are many at different levels under the basking branch so he can move around under them to get a certain temp, the closest one to the bulb (6-8 inches under it) should have the maximum temperature a baby veiled can handle (80-83 degrees)

All of this can be bought on lllreptile.com but it would be cheaper to buy the uvb hood, normal incandescent house bulb and dome, plants, and digital thermometer from home depot or lowes (unless you are getting a temp gun, then tempgun.com) Veiled chameleons can handle temps as low as 50 degrees (at night) so there is no need to use a night light, though I would try to keep it around 60 for a baby. If you do need extra heat, use a space heater or ceramic bulb.

Sorry for the sudden disappearance, I went to a show.

Anyways, thanks for the responses guys!

And this is not concerning the food, of course it will get food. :p I can make a list for that later, such as the supplements. Also, I don't know if I am getting a baby or not, or even a veiled. I may get an adult/juvenile, or a panther.

I was going to get the powersun for the basking spot [to go with the ceramic fixture]? I shouldn't get it?

When you use a powersun they aren't able to bask in UVB without heat (which I find mine often do) and the heat/UVB output can be kinda high.

I'd just play it safe and use a reptisun 5.0 linear tube and a basking light unless you have a UVB meter to measure the two in one.

Power suns are not a good lamp to use when you are new to the hobby. Mainly because a PowerSun requires the use of a UVB meter and laser temp gun to properly setup the lamp. These meters are not cheap and unless you know someone with one, are sometimes hard to come by.

Sticking to the tried and true Reptisun 5.0 (put directly on top of the cage) will do just fine for UVB output. It is also best to provide the cham with heat while under the UVB.... Aiming the heat lamp at a slight angle so that the animal can bask in both the heat lamp and UVB lamp rays, is a good idea.

I did an edit to your list. The items in red should NOT be purchased. The item that should either be used instead will be in blue.

Hey everyone.

Okay, I have assembled a list of things I will need when I obtain my chameleon. I found a good deal on a cage that was 24 x 24 x 36, a cage can never be too big, right? I was formerly going to order a 18 x 18 x 24, but the bigger one was only around 20 bucks more, so why not? Or should I go with the smaller?

List:

*24 x 24 x 36 inch Aluminum Screen Cage

*Zoo Med '18 Reptisun 5.0 UVB Bulb

*20' fluorescent hood fixture

*Zoo Med Rheostat 150 Watts

*24 Hour Basic Timer

*Flukers Digital Thermometer/Humidity Guage
I don't now howmuch these cost from the pet store, but buying one from Lowe's with a dual temp output that tells you max/min temp and humidity is only $14

*Zoo Med 100 watt Powersun UVB heat bulbs
Get a 50w ZooMed spot lamp instead. 100w is way too much power for a young cham.

*Zoo Med regular black ceramic clip lamp

*Mister/dripping system + handheld bottle sprayer [manual]
Do not buy the Habbamist from Zoo Med. It works only as a glorified dripper. People like to call it the 'HabbaSpit' It is not worth the money. Save up for a Mist King

*Live pothos and maybe a hibiscus
If you get a hibiscus make sure you buy a 6500K color temp lamp for it. Hibiscus need lots of light and it needs to be the color of the sun light. If I were you I would buy the dual 24" T8 fixture from Lowes ($20-25). put a 24" zoo med 5.0 into it and a 6500K color temp lamp. This will make the cage very bright and and keep your plants alive.

*Branches for climbing [Not from outside!]

This is a work-in-progress list of things I need for the caging. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brandi

Power suns are not a good lamp to use when you are new to the hobby. Mainly because a PowerSun requires the use of a UVB meter and laser temp gun to properly setup the lamp. These meters are not cheap and unless you know someone with one, are sometimes hard to come by.

Sticking to the tried and true Reptisun 5.0 (put directly on top of the cage) will do just fine for UVB output. It is also best to provide the cham with heat while under the UVB.... Aiming the heat lamp at a slight angle so that the animal can bask in both the heat lamp and UVB lamp rays, is a good idea.

I did an edit to your list. The items in red should NOT be purchased. The item that should either be used instead will be in blue.

Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate it. Everyone on here has been so helpful and kind. :)

And chams don't need substrate/bedding unless it's a pygmy or some other species of chameleon, correct?

Is there any recommendations on a good basking bulb other than Powersun?

Or a link to a site with a good Mistking system/setup?

Please excuse me for so many questions, I just wanna get everything right before I get a cham.

Edit: I found the site link for Mistking~

I use a plain old 25-60 watt incandescent house bulb as a basking bulb. Cheap and simple!

Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate it. Everyone on here has been so helpful and kind. :)

And chams don't need substrate/bedding unless it's a pygmy or some other species of chameleon, correct?

Is there any recommendations on a good basking bulb other than Powersun?

Or a link to a site with a good Mistking system/setup?

Please excuse me for so many questions, I just wanna get everything right before I get a cham.

Edit: I found the site link for Mistking~

Mist King is a brand... so go to MistKing.com ;) there are other systems like the Mist King... but his is much better.

As for the PowerSun.... it isn't just a basking lamp. It is a UVB and heat lamp built into one. It is meant more for desert animals like bearded dragons or iguanas. They can be used in free range setups but again, you need a UVB meter to determine the proper distances. They shouldn't be marketed towards chameleons.

and yes you are right about the substrate.

Mist King is a brand... so go to MistKing.com ;) there are other systems like the Mist King... but his is much better.

As for the PowerSun.... it isn't just a basking lamp. It is a UVB and heat lamp built into one. It is meant more for desert animals like bearded dragons or iguanas. They can be used in free range setups but again, you need a UVB meter to determine the proper distances. They shouldn't be marketed towards chameleons.

and yes you are right about the substrate.

Okay, I was at Petsmart today for reasons of my other animals, and I found some items there on my list and bought them.

Anyways, what other systems are there that are good besides Mistking? I am going to save up for the Mistking, but would like another temporarily.

Also, due to some reasons, I am getting a 24 x 24 x 48. Good, right? :)

I am also comparing prices and quality of different chameleon breeders at the moment, and have found some really good ones! I do not want to buy a cham at a pet store because I am afraid of how it's past treatment has been, and more than likely it would be in bad condition.

P.S: I found a really nice Zilla dual timer also! It has 8 outlets for multiple plug ins, and also has 3 controls to set timers. I can use it for my misting system as well as lighting, so I think it was a nice buy. I burned a small whole in my wallet today. xD

Okay, I was at Petsmart today for reasons of my other animals, and I found some items there on my list and bought them.

Anyways, what other systems are there that are good besides Mistking? I am going to save up for the Mistking, but would like another temporarily.

Also, due to some reasons, I am getting a 24 x 24 x 48. Good, right? :)

I am also comparing prices and quality of different chameleon breeders at the moment, and have found some really good ones! I do not want to buy a cham at a pet store because I am afraid of how it's past treatment has been, and more than likely it would be in bad condition.

P.S: I found a really nice Zilla dual timer also! It has 8 outlets for multiple plug ins, and also has 3 controls to set timers. I can use it for my misting system as well as lighting, so I think it was a nice buy. I burned a small whole in my wallet today. xD

don't bother buying another brand of misting system for the time being... just save for the mist king and use a pump up style hand mister. You can find them at Home Depot for under $10.

The only issue with getting a cham from petsmart is that they will buy another to replace it.... so it is best not to buy from them.

The size cage you are looking to get is pretty big for a small cham. I wouldn't buy one if you are getting a young cham. A cage that is too large will make it hard for your cham to find food. It will also make it hard to monitor his poop habits and if he is even eating his food. Food items will hide and you and your cham will have a hard time finding them.

I agree with getting the hand pump mister (it's all I use ... no misting system in this house.)
I am currently re-evaluating my position on substrate and testing a few ideas here ... but safe to say: no substrate.
Why no branches from outside? That's where most of mine came from.
Good luck finding the chameleon you want!
I would strongly suggest starting with a veiled.

-Brad

Okay, I will work on those funds.
:D

I was not planning on buying a cham [or any other animal for that matter] from Petsmart. I had to pick up some Purina for my other animals dietary mix, and I went ahead and bought some of the things on my list. I already have a breeder in mind when it comes to that. :)

Also, I was also planning to get an older Juvenile. I looked at the breeders site, and they sell juveniles of 5-7 monthes [I can tell you the exact age when I order one]. Is that still too big?

And as for the branches outside, I have heard that it is bad to take things from the outside and into the animal's of any kinds cage? I wouldn't be sure if the branches had pesticides or anything else on them.

By the way, I already bought a hand-held mister/sprayer. :p Now to get the Mistking.

Back
Top Bottom