Enclosure Inquiry

extrajordinary

Established Member
So Leonardo is currently in a Zoo Med X-Large Repti Breeze Aluminum Screen Cage.The cage measures 2' by 2' by 4'. There is a shower curtain attached to three sides to help with the humidity. Leonardo is only about 3 months old, but he explores his large enclosure quite a bit. Winter break will be coming up soon and I want to bring him home because driving to the school* everyday has been a hassle. My issue is that his enclosure is HUGE and there's no way I'll be able to transport his enclosure to my apartment. My car is too small and so is the apartment. What can I set up as a temporary enclosure for a week or so? I've read a lot about using pop-up butterfly cages or mesh laundry hampers...but I wasn't sure if crickets could get out of those or how I'd be able to place his lights on the top. I could buy another cage but I'd rather not if I can manage a decent temporary enclosure. Thanks in advance for your advice and ideas!

*Leonardo is a classroom pet and he has been in my classroom since October 18, 2018. He has shed twice, is hydrated, active, and healthy. I have seen no signs of stress so it appears he doesn't mind the children. I think it especially helps that his basking spot where he spends most of his time is nearly 2 feet above the children's heads.

if friend or family member has a car big enough maybe borrow that, also there are some great butterfly pop up enclosures that will work as a temporary housing, they come from 1'x1'x1' to 3'x3'x5' so good luck!!

if friend or family member has a car big enough maybe borrow that, also there are some great butterfly pop up enclosures that will work as a temporary housing, they come from 1'x1'x1' to 3'x3'x5' so good luck!!
Just make sure to suspend the lights above the butterfly cage, it won’t support them

What are your plans for the summer, assuming you are not a year round school?
For the summer I’ll bring home the enclosure he’s in right now. I have 2 months off in the summer. Right now I only have 2 weeks off and I’m in a small place (we move in a few months). I’m about to order a smaller cage for him to be in at home. He’s only about 4 months old, so a small cage should be fine for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom