Enclosure Help....

BillGTI

Currently i have a 16x16x30 enclosure. Is this enough for my veiled cham?
Right now my cham is 3 months old and she is a female if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
yea this will be ok for maybe 3 to 4 more months then i would think about up grading to a bigger cage to a minimum of 24*24*36 at the smallest.

I have had many Veils and found that while 2 feet by 2 feet wide can suffice, they seem more content when they have more horizontal roaming space. Three feet wide or more is my recommendation.

I was looking for a 24x24x30 or 36 enclosure but i cant find those measurements.
For the amount of space I have, those measurements would be perfect. But no one seems to have those. I’m considering custom making it but if I could just buy 1 it would be so much better and make my life a tad easier.

I started out with platinum but then I realized I was tapping too much into my 401k to fund the cage, so I switched to wood.

No but seriously, I'm in the middle of building a nice enclosure for Kermit and I find wood easy to work with.

Yep. Wood is cheap and works great for customizing. Just paint it with some latex paint to make it waterproof. If your gonna spend money, spend most of it on the screen material.

I have had many Veils and found that while 2 feet by 2 feet wide can suffice, they seem more content when they have more horizontal roaming space. Three feet wide or more is my recommendation.

I agree with Dragon Breeder, I keep mine in a 30x30x18 fresh air habitat by
ESU!! The only draw back about this cage is that it doesn't have a removable
pvc tray at the bottom for easy cleaning!! I just leave the bottom screws out
so I can just lift the cage up and clean the bottom!! This cage does offer plenty of horizontal roaming space and there pretty cheap!!

Im kinda lazy on making 1 right now lol. So tonight im going to go out and take a look at a 65 Gallon 30" x 16.5" x 30"...What are your thoughts on this terrarium?

Im kinda lazy on making 1 right now lol. So tonight im going to go out and take a look at a 65 Gallon 30" x 16.5" x 30"...What are your thoughts on this terrarium?

Honestly.. I think you should stick with what you have for now until your youngster gets a bit older. Gives you time to decide what you want, and there is really no hurry with the size of cage you have it in now.

I can return it for a bigger one i still have 15 days left:D. My chameleon is almost 4 months old its getting a bit big in this cage it chases crickets and flys like a champ!

You can find those measurements (or specify others) at www.cages.net. You have a choice of two screen weaves; I get the larger weave-- less risk of toenails getting snagged.

2 X 2 wood (is actually 1.5 X 1.5) is really great to use. A nice strong cage can be framed out and then screened from the outside.

The downside is that 2X2's can be expensive and are not easily found. If you can rip it yourself (or know someone with a table saw), you can buy 2X10X8's and get about 5 2X2's for the approximately the price of one! (remember to cut them into 1.5sX1.5s if you like)...

The cost of one 2X10X8's is around 5.00, which is not much more than one 2X2X8. It is really worth it in the end.

What gets costly in the end is the screening and other materials/hardware. My new cage ended up being far more expensive than I expected in the end once I added in the PVC mesh, glass (really expensive), pro-mist system, dual tube pre-wired ballast (for 2 twenty-inch T-12 tubes with rubber-end caps), plexiglass and white plastic wall sheets (like the kind that are used to line restuarant kitchen walls). Another high-cost item was the tan PVC slider tracks (for use with sliding glass doors), but they are really nice. Add in another 20.00 for water based stain and sealer to top things off...

Here are some pics of my new cage while it was still under construction. Once I get the time I will update this page with pictures of the completed project:

http://dragonbreeders.com/parsonii/enclosure/

It is a plastic coated fiberglass sheeting that is used on restaurant kitchen walls. You can get it at home depot or lowes. It is perfectly safe, durable and can be cut with a fine tooth blade on a jig saw. You can also use a dremel tool. Either way, it must be washed vigorously after cutting or sanding down the edges. I also used it for the back walls and half of the top.

It is a plastic coated fiberglass sheeting that is used on restaurant kitchen walls. You can get it at home depot or lowes. It is perfectly safe, durable and can be cut with a fine tooth blade on a jig saw. You can also use a dremel tool. Either way, it must be washed vigorously after cutting or sanding down the edges. I also used it for the back walls and half of the top.

Back
Top Bottom