Enclosure experiment failed but works pretty well anyway?

HolyToledo

I was hoping that moving to a bigger enclosure would take some of the stress out of Prometheus' life. His cage isn't built yet but I wanted to play around with size, placement, etc. I have a modular shelf set from Costco that I was looking at thinking it would work well for just such an experiment. Easy to re-arrange and move around and stuff. So, this is what I ended up building:

full

I have never seen this little guy this calm and pretty before especially with me standing as close as I was.

full

He loves the new cage especially since it doesn't really keep him in! He has to tip his head to the side and up to get just the right angle to slip through the diagonal of the openings.

full

And, it seemed he was pretty pleased with himself way up there. But he was darkening up cuz he was sure I was gonna take him down from there and after a bit, he was right.

full

So, I put the sheet I used to block light at night on his old viv over the top of the cage, hoping it would dissuade him from going up and out again. It worked until I hooked up his water dripper and he just followed the tubing out the side. Then, he went back to being his old, lovable self again.

full

Since I'm trying to lessen his stressing, I just left him. Not like he's gonna go too far (I hope)... So, he decided to sleep up top the first night.

full

I was a bit worried that he wouldn't go back in for food and water and basking. But all is well and I caught him going back in for grub and water. Out again, then back for light treatment session and he stayed in the rest of the night. First night sleeping in looked kind of awkward.

full

And, he has stayed inside as far as I can tell. Night number three was on branches and he looked much more comfy.

So, so far so good. Even though he can get out, he doesn't go wandering off. And, if he is inside, I can walk right up and he has even allowed me to touch him if he is close to the side and without him going dark, hissing and/or snapping.

The cage is pretty much a failure but his attitude is so good I have just let him have it and may not have his other "sturdier" cage built and just allow him free range of that half of the room?

Poppi needs a bigger cage now too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting story. It's great that he came back for chow and sun! Will you ultimately just take the modular down and full-time FR?

That caging idea would be awesome if you could find shelving with smaller openings.

Great job even though it didn't work exactly as planned.

That caging idea would be awesome if you could find shelving with smaller openings.

Great job even though it didn't work exactly as planned.

I think in a way it works well now. It is like halfway between a free range and a cage :) It seems to have made him less aggressive already. This is usual i think.
I think it is very good HolyToledo :)

LOL! Love the imagination of using things like this! I laughed a bit at you ... Only because i can relate a similar personal experience. :p

While we were gone to work today, Prometheus went on a walk-about. We found him clear across the room and up on top of Poppi's viv. He was up there sitting where the sun had been shining in most of the day and where the heat from her cage kept him warm. When he went back into his "cage" (ha ha) he went right for the water dripper hose.

@ ataraxia: I laugh at myself lots too, no problem with having company. That's why I had to share this goofiness. :)

You could easily wrap screen around that.

Its a good idea, maybe when he cant fit through it will be better though.

Being creative is always good. I like what you did. When I saw your chan and the cage my first though was, does he know his Cham will get out? I guess you knew it and have a happier Cham.

Great story indeed! Be careful when he ventures over to Poppi's viv if she has a hot basking light he can climg up on or snap his tongue at. Per poor Picasso's incident. Other than that the free range cage is pretty cool and an inspiration.

hehehe.. thanks for the giggle :)

Glad he's happy though! I was thinking the same thing about the mesh.. but he's not running away so I guess that's all that matters!

Prometheus thinks he is king of the world!

His attitude is much better now and I can even touch him and move him from the window back to his "cage". And, he has even returned to get water and go to bed on his own. He still gets really ticked off if I try to move him from his "cage" no matter the reason. So I wait until he is off and about before I guide him away from Poppi's area. Now, I am even considering how to rearrange the bedroom so that he has the window closest to his cage. The sun shines into his area but he wants in the window even though he gets kind of freaked about the traffic out there.

As far as lights, he can get to the UVB in his area and only on the top/outside of Poppi's light. For now, I have the room heat higher and no heat emitter until I figure out how to enclose the emitter.

Prometheus is still out and about as long as the sun is shining. When it is dreary our, he wanders inside his cage but hangs out around his UVB mostly.
When the sun shines enough to brighten things up a bit though, off he goes to one of the windows. :)

His urates are a touch yellow though so I'm trying to figure out more watering stations in his cage and the window. Anybody else that free ranges got any suggestions?

His urates are a touch yellow though so I'm trying to figure out more watering stations in his cage and the window. Anybody else that free ranges got any suggestions?

Run a few MK nozzles to the different areas he frequents.
Have them angled onto plants, to catch the water. A large plant or trough like container may be needed to catch the water, but using an adjustment valve will greatly help with controlling the spray.

Glad to hear hes enjoying himself.

I like the design of the cage. Hopefully he does not freak out when he grows and cannot manage to get his head out of the cage lol. This weekend I tested a free range set up with my cham, but decided to take it down after my chameleon left his tree 3 times.

It sounds like at least if he gets off of his cage, your set up allows him to easily to be found. I searched for an hour the first time before I found him. If interested in the story, check out my recent thread:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/garage-free-range-day-1-a-102149/

Anyways, I decided that since FR did not work for Foley, that I need to make a large custom enclosure for him. Luckily for me, my father and brother are both carpenters and I have access to basically free tools, wood, and man hours. It's just a matter of buying screen and an appropriate wood sealer, as well as figuring out all the details of the design by picking and choosing from the many threads here on CF.

Solid Snake, I have enjoyed reading your threads for some time now. I see you are "nomadic;" as you are up late like me, I am curious if you are more local or very distant.

Anyways, I hope the best for you all! I love reading various posts of anything chameleon. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom