Enclosure Bottom Panel

Drew52

Hello everyone...I plan on purchasing a 24x24x48 wooden (pine) enclosure (all screen) and had a question regarding the bottom panel. The standard cage comes with a plywood bottom, I do not plan on using an automatic misting system but wanted to ask what would be a better material for the bottom piece that can be wiped off easily? Formica, PVC foam, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks.

Hello everyone...I plan on purchasing a 24x24x48 wooden (pine) enclosure (all screen) and had a question regarding the bottom panel. The standard cage comes with a plywood bottom, I do not plan on using an automatic misting system but wanted to ask what would be a better material for the bottom piece that can be wiped off easily? Formica, PVC foam, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks.

PVC is great

Automatic misting is one of the biggest husbandry aids and I would suggest more focus on why you are choosing to go without. Flooring and drainage are secondary to hydration needs.

I think as a temporary solution a wooden bottom would suffice, but I would seek using PVC or some sort of plastic bottom. Wood has the potential to rought.

Automatic misting is one of the biggest husbandry aids and I would suggest more focus on why you are choosing to go without. Flooring and drainage are secondary to hydration needs.

It is not whatsoever necessary to have an automated misting system and elaborate drainage system. More people do NOT have them than DO have them. Myself included. I have raised multiple chameleons for ten + years and do so without the need for an automated misting system. I use drippers, hand misting, and water collection buckets. It is not difficult. I have Never encountered a problem with cham hydration with my method.

Misting systems are likely very beneficial to people who have very low ambient humidity, or who are not interested in hand misting and who choose not to use drippers.

btw

by the way, go to industrial plastics and click on ABS or any of the other solutions they have. If you have a design for a tub or whatever they can also fabricate the design.

Anything natural will require more eventual care at some point in time. Synthetics will be easier to care for. but I think wood looks nicer.

If you do choose to go with wood, make sure it is sealed well. Especially with formica that is backed with press board. I would actually recommend against this. If possible Marine ply with some kind of laminant covering.

plexiglass or PVC is great for the ease of cleaning and ease of maint.

Misting systems are a luxury. People have been keeping chams successfully long before these came about.

Hope this helps

OPI

garage flooring

At Lowes they have this interlocking PVC flooring for garages. It is about .25 of an inch think and can be locked together with others to form a floor. It runs for about 10 bucks for a square roughly 20"x20"x .25" I think I may pursue using this stuff as a bottom for my home built enclosure that I am planning. Here is the image of the tile. Check it out. tell me what you think. Home depot does not sell this exact type but sells another variation but more expensive.

180893045408md.jpg

no sub

i have metal screen floor with no subtrate,and a thin piece of wood under screen with stickon tiles 4 easy clean up, just screw on 2 rails slide in bottom

I tried wood with marine grade and it didnt last very long, I plan to use a wood bottom, but with corregated carboard ontop , Vinly flooring, ir bat surround sheetine, then silicone all arourd the bottom to seal, These will work with drain systems too at a fraction of the cost of pvc.

Troy

my cage came with a hole in the bottom and a peice of plastic on top that you can lift out. the plastic was white and would look hideous, so i bougt a roll of rubber matting and layed it over the plastic. works great! there is strips (dont really know how to explain it or call it) and the water goes beteween them, so no pools

If you are using pine wood for your enclosure make sure to use a sealent of some type as the pine oil (the stuff that smells piny) is bad for reptiles and usually succumbs to moisture. I used poplar for the enclosure and fiberglass with holes drilled in it for the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom