EMERGENCY

You didn't get unlucky, your care was very off.
Geez man i came here for help. i know i was off you dont gotta make me feel even more shitty, if your not gonna suggest anything go somewhere. Sorry i couldnt get it perfect the first time man fuck

Geez man i came here for help. i know i was off you dont gotta make me feel even more shitty, if your not gonna suggest anything go somewhere. Sorry i couldnt get it perfect the first time man fuck
Maybe you missed it on the last page, what do you gut load the crickets with?

Zuccini, apples, and cucumbers whenever i have them, sometimes i dont gut load them
When people were talking about that husbandry questionnaire what people do is copy/paste the text and fill in in red or below each bullet point.

That may help.

The gutloading (or not as the case may be) may be part of it.

How are you measuring humidity and what is the range?

Don’t take it personally. Some are more blunt than others.

All we can ask is that you take our suggestions and make changes

You said..."my female veiled chameleon who laid eggs about a month ago has been acting extremely strange recently"...how many eggs did she lay? Was she with a male? Did she dig a hole, lay the eggs in it, fill it in and return to the branches?

You said..."I dont have the money to take her to the vet so i came here, She used to ask to be picked up everyday but she stopped that, also recently shes turned really skinny"...photos please! Is she sitting low in the cage, sleeping during the day, lethargic?

You said..."yesterday i caught her acting like she wanted to throw up but she didnt throw up. Also sometimes when i mist i realized she runs to lick the water off the walls so i spray water in her mouth and she drinks it"...is she just opening her mouth or sticking her tongue out when she's doing this? Is her nose pointed down or up in the air? Does she do it only when you're spraying water in her mouth? BTW...you should not spray water into her mouth, you will likely get it into her lungs and that is bad news....and could be why she's acting like she wants to throw up.

You said..." ive also realized that theres white poop that dried and looked like it was blocking her way to poop so i cleaned that twice in 2 weeks. I was wondering is she dehydrated? Is she not getting enough vital nutrients??"...if the urates are white then she shouldn't be dehydrated. What do you feed her? What do you feed the insects? What do you dust the insects with? Please be specific...please look to see if the powders you dust with have phos, calcium, D3 or vitamin A in them and what form of vitamin A (look for words like retinol, beta carotene, acetate).

You said..."Ill post pictures of her when i get home"...thanks!

She could be having a reproductive problem or a nutritional problem or it might have to do with the watering...or even something else. The information were looking for should help us figure it out.

20210416_134603.jpg
20210416_134531.jpg

The 1st photo is that white poop stuff hardening on her butt that i have to keep cleaning, and the 2nd photo is just her. When i came home today she looks better than what she was a few days ago, a little fatter, and more alert. But she still isnt 100%

Ive also just realized something new, she will close her right eye but leave her left eye open, she does this randomly

Shes a female veiled, probably about a year old i honestly dont know, ive had her for 3-4 months. Id handle her as often as she asked, she loved being held and asked about everyday to be let out. (Id hold her about every 2 days) i feed my chameleon crickets with chameleon vitamin powder every wednesday and give them vegitables throughout the week. I had a water bowl as well as misting(misting 4 times a day), ive seen her drink out of her water bowl but not recently. She has never been tested for parasytes and i have 2 chameleons together so idk whos poop is whos but her specifically has been needing her butt wiped because its white poop has been hardening on her butt so ive had to de-block that. I have a glass tall tank with a Screen top but i dont know the exact dimesions. I have a heat light that produces only heat and i also have a uv bulb for the uv rays they need. (Sunlight from 7 am to 8 pm) basking spot is probably about 80-90 degrees and cold spots can be 70-80 and at night i turn off the heat light to simulate the wild better. Im using live plants, an indoor vine i bought from the store idk what its called. The tank is in my living room so it would be high traffic, but it never seemed to effect them. And im located in florida.

Ive already filled out the form, one is male and one is female. Ive been thinking of removing him from her, but i havent noticed him antagonizing her. I have a humidity and a temp gauge, and the uv lightbulb is one of the spiral shaped ones. Ive also noticed her face starting to get black dots but the inside of her mouth is perfectly fine so i dont think its mouth rot.
Since you said gauge, I’m going to take it as being an analog thermometer and hygrometer. You need to get something digital because I’m going to guess temps and humidity are not correct. Here is a link to one that I like to use-http://www.lllreptile.com/products/12301-exo-terra-digital-thermometer-and-hygrometer-combo

Second- you need to switch out the UV light. CFL (the compact one you have) UV lights do a lot of damage to their eyes along with not giving correct levels of UV for them. Here is the type I’ve used for years: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/69-zoo-med-24-repti-sun-50-uvb-bulb

Third- you will need to get a different enclosure. The type you are using is not often suggested (I’m assuming it’s not an exo terra terrarium but correct me if I’m wrong)- we usually suggest mesh caging. The problem with them is they hold head quite well and they don’t provide good air flow. This causes an array of problems (no fluctuation of humidity, respiratory problems, etc).

fourth- can you show pictures of the powder you use for supplements? Your schedule is off and I’d like to see which one you’re currently using before making any suggestions for supplementation scheduling or additional supplementation you’ll need

Hope this helps!
Chase

Zuccini, apples, and cucumbers whenever i have them, sometimes i dont gut load them
It's important to feed/gutload the insects. The stores rarely feed them properly and you want the insects to be healthy going into your chameleon.

Btw...what did you do with the eggs...they were likely fertile.

There are a number of things that could be wrong with the eye.
Could be a nutrient imbalance, the lights bothering her, infection, stuck shed in it, etc. (I'm not a vet ...what I say always comes from experiences and reading that I've done.)

The powder you show is not a calcium powder. Y ou should be dusting the insects at each feeding but one a week with a phos free calcium powder and on two of the remaining feedings dust with the reptivite you've shown in the photo. Dustings should be light.

What reptiles have you kept before?

Last edited:
Your chameleon is very thin as indicated by the spine and arms...but go her belly is quite round. I'm wondering if she's retained eggs.

How much is she eating now per week?
I think she really needs to see a good chameleon vet.

Ive already filled out the form, one is male and one is female. Ive been thinking of removing him from her, but i havent noticed him antagonizing her. I have a humidity and a temp gauge, and the uv lightbulb is one of the spiral shaped ones. Ive also noticed her face starting to get black dots but the inside of her mouth is perfectly fine so i dont think its mouth rot.
Did you perchance forget to click Post reply? I know it's happened to me. :oops:
I've been through this thread a few times; the filled out form is not here.

You very well might not see any antagonism, chameleons are shy by nature, so it may not be happening when you're around, but if both are (near) breeding age, it's happening—hormones, pheromones, limbic system/"Lizard Brain"... all that. In the pic you posted (Post #11) the poor thing looks exhausted.

Analog (dial) thermometers and hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate; they can be as much as
20°/20% off. In contrast, digital hygrometers, thermometers (and combo units) usually have a margin of error of ±2°/2%.

That type of UVB is called a Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) which is the kind I mentioned in Post #7. They were designed to be mounted horizontally—not vertically—and even then do not provide the strength of UVB needed for a chameleon. Each of your chameleons need its own enclosure with a linear T5HO UVB—either 5.0 or 6% (depending on brand). Here are 2 excellent articles explaining UVB lighting for reptiles—one shorter and one longer.
https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/reptile-lighting-information/
https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/an-in-depth-look-at-uv-light-and-its-proper-use-with-reptiles/

At this point with all that is going on with her, I think she needs to be seen by a herp vet.
If you don't have one, this link can help you find one near you:
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Back
Top Bottom