Egg question

Orin

I often see recommendations that females not be bred to reduce the stress from producing eggs but infertile and fertile eggs don't require a different amount of nutrients in their creation. Is there credible evidence that female chameleons that don't breed actually lay less clutches than those that do breed?

I suppose it depends on what species of chameleon we are talking about here. There are ways to reduce clutch sizes as well as prevent eggs from cycling all together depending on the species of cham. But you are right, it takes a lot from the female whether they are fertile or not. I most often see those types of comments directed at more inexperienced keepers who may try to breed every chance they can. I think its more about trying to prevent them from cycling unless you are trying to breed.

Also, there have been keepers that have said in their experience once they mate, they will cycle regularly. I don't know if there is any documentation on this or not. I only have 3 females so I don't have enough to give a fair answer either. I will tell you though that I kept one of my females from cycling until 1.5 years old until I decided to breed her. Ever since she does become receptive every 3 months, but we cut down her temps and food intake to prevent infertile clutches.

If you can simulate mother nature by dropping the temps 10-15 degrees ambient in the 'off' time you will trick your female into thinking it is winter. There is a thread and link floating around the site that talks about this. My female veiled is a GIANT cow right now with eggs. I mated her 2 weeks ago and she is already digging to lay her clutch... I hope she slows down and doesn't cycle again:rolleyes:

summoner12...assuming its a veiled...its quite likely that if your female lays the eggs in the next few days that the clutch will be partly/mostly infertile and that the next clutch she lays will be fertile or mostly fertile. If the second clutch is fertile, she may even go on to lay a third clutch containing at least some fertile eggs. IMHO...if she is a "giant cow" already then she is likely going to produce a large (first) clutch.

orin..infertile chameleon eggs are usually smaller than fertile ones...so it might make a difference in the ease of laying them. I think keeping the clutch size smaller is more important than whether the female lays eggs or not.....its only my opinion...can't find much written about it....but producing less eggs should be less of a drain on the female's system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom