Egg laying substrate

Julirs

I have a 5 month old female Veiled that was big to begin with and has grown rapidly, so I want to be prepared in the case of eggs. I see that every one uses different things in the egg laying container. I wanted to provide her with a container to dig in just in case. I was thinking of filling a medium sized cricket keeper half way-3/4 way and just keeping it in her current cage. Now-do I fill with topsoil, sand, or a mixture of the both. Does topsoil need to be "washed" at all? I know that people recommend that playground sand needs to be washed. How about Zoo-med Reptisand? I am not planning on breeding her for a few more months at least.

I would honestly wait until she's a year old, trust me, better safe than sorry. And washed play sand seems to work good as a nesting substrate. Just make sure that it's moist, and deep, and you should be good to go.

I have heard of people using each of those with success. I think that the main goal is making it moist enough that you can dig a tunnel in it without it collapsing. I do a test run with my hand. Make sure that it isn't too wet though. I have tried sand/ soil mixed in the past and it worked well, but I now use the manmade soil that comes in a brick form. It is mildew resistant and free of pesticides and fertilizers. I have used it for awhile with success so far. I usually watch for signs of the female searching the bottom of the enclosure for a nesting site, then i either move her to a laying chamber, or if the enclosure is large enough, I add one there. I don't think that a medium sized cricket keeper is large enough for her to be comfortable with the site. Maybe try a 5 gallon bucket.

I keep a container of washed sandbox sand in each female egglaying chameleon's cage from the time the female is 5 months old on so that there is some place to dig to show that she is going to lay eggs.....its better to be safe than sorry. If you don't have the container there and miss the sometimes subtle signs that she needs to lay eggs if can lead to egg binding.

I don't know what size the container is that you are referring to...but the container should be big enough for her to fit into with a couple of inches to spare on all sides and above her when its empty. I fill it about 2/3 full of the sand. BTW...you don't have to wash the sand....the sand would come pre-washed, if you are buying the right kind. I buy one produced by Kings...it comes in a white bag with red, yellow and blue sandbox toys on the front of it. This sand has proven to pass through the chameleon when ingested without causing impaction. It has never caused an infection in the chameleon from any abrasions, etc. resulting from digging like some of the other "sands" that I have used have.

I don't bother keeping the sand moist until the female has started to dig in it. If the sand is level in the container, when she starts digging, you will see the signs.

Some females will actually lay their eggs in this container...others need to be moved to a bigger container. I use a 65 liter rubbermaid container that is modified for the purpose.

I have done it this way for many years.

i used those shreded coconut shell as the eggs laying medium and as for incubating eggs i use perlite (good stuff)!!!

Jerm said: I now use the manmade soil that comes in a brick form. It is mildew resistant

Where do you get that? More information on your usage and the brand, etc.
Thanks

I use a product made by Zoomed called Eco Earth. It is available online or at some local pet shops. I have constructed a screen enclosure that sits on top of a tupperware type tub with approx. 1 1/2 feet of Eco earth. I move the female to this enclosure when I notice that she is close to laying. I have also placed the tub inside of some of the larger enclosures containing gravid females, which seems to be less stressful on the female since she isn't removed from her habitat. If you place a couple of plants in the dirt, they seem to feel more comfortable when trying to find a nesting site. Here is a link to a site that carries Eco Earth - http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-Eco-Earth-3-Pack-Substrate?sc=2&category=29

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom