Egg Laying Question!!

vbriggs06

Hello!

I have a female veiled chameleon. She's about 2 years old (I would guess - I'm not sure exactly how old she was when I got her, had her for a year and a half)... Anyhoo, this is the third time since I got her that she's gone into burrowing mode (the two other times, she's laid her eggs very successfully - no problems)..

My question is: how long is normal for them to stay underground, burrowing???

She started digging at about 12:30 PM today and it is now 7:50 PM and she's still under there. I've been able to hear her moving around and seen some movement as well, so I know she isn't stuck or anything...I'm just a little concerned about the fact that she's been away from her light and water source pretty much all day...As I said, she's laid eggs before, I just don't recall her ever spending this much time underground...

Any suggestions?? Should I attempt to get her out? Should I just leave her and hope for the best?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you! :D

Last edited:
If you can hear her moving/digging then I would just leave her alone. Its best not to disturb them at this time and its also important not to let them see you watching them while they are digging. Sometimes they take longer to dig the hole.

Yeah I figured... I was just looking for some peace of mind I guess :rolleyes: lol She did finally come out at around 10:15 PM and her light goes off at that time.. so the poor little thing didn't catch any rays until this morning! But, she's back at it again right now, so I guess all is good.

Thanks for the advice!! :D

OK. Possible new issue... she did the same thing yesterday but come 10:00ish she didn't come out... its been nearly 24 hours now and she's still under there!!

What do I do??!

...I haven't heard her moving for a while now... she didn't do much digging yesterday, she just went back in the tunnel she spent all of the previous day digging... she is/was carrying a VERY large clutch of eggs though...

Could it be that she just laid a Huge amount of eggs, decided to sleep in her tunnel, and I should hope/expect her to come out today??!?!

Ahhh! Help, please!

Back
Top Bottom