egg laying media

reptyslick123

my female is about to lay and i was wondering if you can uses a mixture of compost and sand. but all the compost i have look at have extra mineral in it does this matter in a egg laying media is so what other options do i have.
thank you Alex

compost generates heats as its components decay, therefor I wouldnt use it, not to mention you want a sterile media if possible. Compost will likely contain all kinds of micro-organisms.
Plain soil without added chemicals (fertilisers or water crystals etc) and sifted to remove non digestible debris (incase of ingestion) will do fine provided its moist enough to 'hold' a tunnel without collapsing and dry enough not to promote mould. :)

I use a mix of eco earth and play sand - it's lighter for my girl to dig through as she has lost a few nails on her front feet.

I use a mix of eco earth and play sand - it's lighter for my girl to dig through as she has lost a few nails on her front feet.

This is exactly what I use. I had used sand first and it pretty much had worn out the poor girl trying to dig through it and then cover the eggs back up. Moistened EcoEarth/BedABeast mixed with a little sand will hold a great tunnel and is so much easier for them to dig through.

Back
Top Bottom