Egg Laying Bin Difficulties

Winter8Lillian

Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can provide. This is my first time owning a chameleon and she is now gravid (she's shown the blue and yellow colors, been fussy, has refused food, and has been digging at her cage floor). I put an admittedly small (about a foot deep) egg laying bin in her enclosure when I got her a few months ago so that she would have that as an option and she also has a large plant in her enclosure with enough room to possibly lay her eggs in if she feels like it, but she hasn't chosen either of these options, so I filled a 18 gallon tub with moist playsand and put her in there this morning (around 9). It's been almost three hours and it seems like the only thing she's doing is trying to get out of the tub (judging by the sounds because I read that privacy when laying is important so I'm not looking at her). I just wanted to see how long I should leave her in the tub. I don't want to leave her in there for too long if she's just going to hurt herself by continually trying to crawl out. But I don't want to take her out if it's normal for them to do this and then dig and lay eggs. Please let me know if you have any advice or need any other information from me.

IMG_20200414_121445_128.jpg

Attachments

• 20200404_072031.jpg
    20200404_072031.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 109
i would lay a UVB light across the top of the bin so she has some light and maybe even add a heat light. I would add a branch or plant in the bin too but make sure she can't dig under the plant pot of you leave it potted and make sure she can't get to the lights and burn herself. Make sure the sand is just moist enough to hold a tunnel too.

i would lay a UVB light across the top of the bin so she has some light and maybe even add a heat light. I would add a branch or plant in the bin too but make sure she can't dig under the plant pot of you leave it potted and make sure she can't get to the lights and burn herself. Make sure the sand is just moist enough to hold a tunnel too.
Thanks that's great advice. The sand could hold a good tunnel (I predug a hole because some forums said that they might use a predug tunnel) but that was three hours ago so I can't be 100% sure it still is good, but judging by how long the sand has stayed moist in the smaller container, I think it should still be suitable for a tunnel. I could definitely add a plant into the container if that would be better for her, but I'm a bit concerned about her crawling out of the tub and not laying. I'll also add her lights (I hadn't added them because I read that it wasn't necessary and I didn't want to mess up setting them up in this temporary container and burn or overheat her.
Do you have any advice for how long to leave her in the container? She seems to want to go back into her cage, but I don't want to put her back if the tub is the best way to get her to lay.

This is always hard ...I have an opaque container about 12" X 12" deep by 9" wide in all my egg laying females cages constantly. I only move them to the big bin if they've been digging in the little bin in the cage and don't seem to be happy with it. Once I move them to the big bin I leave them ther until they lay the eggs. They can be fed (as long as you don't leave any insects in there) and watered in there (by spraying the plant and sides of the container). I cut away most of the lid and screen it over...then the lid can be left on the bin while the chameleon is in there and the lights can be put on top. I make sure the lights don't heat the bin enough to overheat the chameleon...you can use a smaller watt heat bulb if that helps too.

This is always hard ...I have an opaque container about 12" X 12" deep by 9" wide in all my egg laying females cages constantly. I only move them to the big bin if they've been digging in the little bin in the cage and don't seem to be happy with it. Once I move them to the big bin I leave them ther until they lay the eggs. They can be fed (as long as you don't leave any insects in there) and watered in there (by spraying the plant and sides of the container). I cut away most of the lid and screen it over...then the lid can be left on the bin while the chameleon is in there and the lights can be put on top. I make sure the lights don't heat the bin enough to overheat the chameleon...you can use a smaller watt heat bulb if that helps too.
Wow that sounds great. I spent today revamping her cage so now she has a much bigger bin to lay in and I took her out of the tub (she hadn't even tried to dig a hole. So I hope she'll use this new one since it seems better if it's in her cage. Thank you for all your help!

Attachments

• 20200417_131845.jpg
    20200417_131845.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom