Egg hatching question

B.rice85

Hey everyone. I have 5 eggs that a friend gave me from a clutch that was laid in August. They have been chilling out in my closet and have lightly misted them once a week. Recently in the past week the shells seem to becoming slightly translucent in spots. Is this normal? This is my first time incubating eggs.
20190426_004407.jpg

I appreciate the replies. Unfortunately this is what I was told to do. They had been doing great until this last week. Is there anything I can do to try and remedy the situation?

On a side the the blueish green coloring you see in the shell is the orientation mark my friend put on them when they were laid. I do know he used a nontoxic marker purchased from a reptile shop.

I appreciate the replies. Unfortunately this is what I was told to do. They had been doing great until this last week. Is there anything I can do to try and remedy the situation?

On a side the the blueish green coloring you see in the shell is the orientation mark my friend put on them when they were laid. I do know he used a nontoxic marker purchased from a reptile shop.
Im unsure... as I am waiting for my first clutch of eggs any day now from my female... @Matt Vanilla Gorilla can help with this!

I agree with the advice you have received here this far. The eggs should not receive water directly on them and they should not be lying in that much water. It changes the permeability of the egg shell and therefore the ability of the egg (and ultimately the embryo) to breathe. It furthermore creates a environment for anaerobic bacteria to grow that could harm the eggs. All this being said the eggs still look viable. The thinning towards the end of incubation is normal.

I agree with the advice you have received here this far. The eggs should not receive water directly on them and they should not be lying in that much water. It changes the permeability of the egg shell and therefore the ability of the egg (and ultimately the embryo) to breathe. It furthermore creates a environment for anaerobic bacteria to grow that could harm the eggs. All this being said the eggs still look viable. The thinning towards the end of incubation is normal.

I appreciate the advice. I know for some reason it looks like the eggs are sitting directly in standing water but the one thing I have been very careful about is not letting water collect on the bottom of the container. I think the picture was taken right after a spraying (which I wont be doing anymore) My main concern was the thinning spots. I read that windowing was possible near the end but was hard to find pictures of it with panther eggs to compare to.

So how long should I wait until I move it into the cage? I've read some people say leave in the container for a bit as the eggs seem to "talk"

I don’t know about talking, but generally hatchlings are left in their hatching environment until they have fully absorbed their egg sac. Usually 12-24hrs.

Back
Top Bottom