Egg hatching question

I don’t know about talking, but generally hatchlings are left in their hatching environment until they have fully absorbed their egg sac. Usually 12-24hrs.
I'm assuming that's the red sack at the base of its tail.

And here's my first attempt at the enclosure. any feedback or suggestions? First chameleons so not 100% sure on what I'm doing lol

Attachments

• 20190703_160608.jpg
    20190703_160608.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 211
Yes, that’s the sac.

So you’ve never kept adults before?
No. These were given to me by a friend who had a clutch of 30+. I've been reading up on them since I got them but it's always nice to get info and input from actual people and not just publications.

No. These were given to me by a friend who had a clutch of 30+. I've been reading up on them since I got them but it's always nice to get info and input from actual people and not just publications.
That’s concerning, hatchlings are crazy frail.

It would be a good idea to have your plans reviewed, we can do that by filling out this form:

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Hey everyone. I have 5 eggs that a friend gave me from a clutch that was laid in August. They have been chilling out in my closet and have lightly misted them once a week. Recently in the past week the shells seem to becoming slightly translucent in spots. Is this normal? This is my first time incubating eggs. View attachment 230657

Id change what you have them in. Possibly to much moisture. Thats not a good sign.

Last edited:
You realize that every one of those Chams should have their own enclosure right OP?

For babies, it's fine for the first 2-3 months but soon their are going to need their own, preferably have their own since birth.

Why did you not reply to the questionnaire. Man this is why you don't sell eggs, or give them away......

You realize that every one of those Chams should have their own enclosure right OP?

For babies, it's fine for the first 2-3 months but soon their are going to need their own, preferably have their own since birth.

Why did you not reply to the questionnaire. Man this is why you don't sell eggs, or give them away......

I am aware that they will need their own enclosures, which are currently being built, but seeing how these 5 eggs were going on over 11 months incubation and the rest of the clutch didnt make it I wasnt going to waste my time and money building enclosures for eggs I wasnt sure that were going to even hatch.

I also haven't filled out you're questionnaire because I dont come on the forum on a daily basis and this is the first time I've been on since I last posted.
I'm sure there was a time when you were in the same boat as I.

I am aware that they will need their own enclosures, which are currently being built, but seeing how these 5 eggs were going on over 11 months incubation and the rest of the clutch didnt make it I wasnt going to waste my time and money building enclosures for eggs I wasnt sure that were going to even hatch.

I also haven't filled out you're questionnaire because I dont come on the forum on a daily basis and this is the first time I've been on since I last posted.
I'm sure there was a time when you were in the same boat as I.

Oh I don't blame you for not having the enclosures yet. That's fine, that was 2 separate statements.

Chams, are hard as adults for new keepers, newborns, I wish you the best of luck, but you are in for a challenge.

I'm not trying to insult you, or be mean to you at all. I am sure you will do the best you can, and you may succeed. However you should have never been given eggs. No non experienced keeper should be given eggs of animal that's hard to keep alive as an adult. Mustless a baby.

Oh I don't blame you for not having the enclosures yet. That's fine, that was 2 separate statements.

Chams, are hard as adults for new keepers, newborns, I wish you the best of luck, but you are in for a challenge.

I'm not trying to insult you, or be mean to you at all. I am sure you will do the best you can, and you may succeed. However you should have never been given eggs. No non experienced keeper should be given eggs of animal that's hard to keep alive as an adult. Mustless a baby.
No need for “you should of never be given those eggs” etc.... I’m sure the guy has a game plan....

Last edited:
No need for “you should of never be given those eggs” etc.... I’m sure the guy has a game plan....

Again, did you read the post?. No one is insulting him, he did nothing wrong.

No inexperienced keeper should be given eggs, I said that in that post you quoted too. Eggs should not be for sale, or given away, to inexperienced keepers, period, without exception. Should not happen.

New people show up with eggs all the time, bought from the eBay seller or from other sources. 90% of the times I have seen, this ends badly. OP is here, he is asking questions and learning. That's a great start and I wish him all the best.

However giving eggs to someone who has never kept a Cham, I do not condone or agree with.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that's the red sack at the base of its tail.

And here's my first attempt at the enclosure. any feedback or suggestions? First chameleons so not 100% sure on what I'm doing lol

So this cage for all of them? It needs way more branches, you need a UVB light, (no basking for babies they can bask with UVB light).

Your going to need a bunch of food now. Fruit Fly culutures, Pinhead Crickets, small beetles roaches, very small, they eat alot.

Then within the next couple of months. Your going to need 5x 24x24x48 cages. You could do 5 18x18x36s, and the males will need bigger cages, so you can do that if you want to buy the males bigger ones soon.

Again, did you read the post?. No one is insulting him, he did nothing wrong.

No inexperienced keeper should be given eggs, I said that in that post you quoted too. Eggs should not be for sale, or given away, to inexperienced keepers, period, without exception. Should not happen.

New people show up with eggs all the time, bought from the eBay seller or from other sources. 90% of the times I have seen, this ends badly. OP is here, he is asking questions and learning. That's a great start and I wish him all the best.

However giving eggs to someone who has never kept a Cham, I do not condone or agree with.
We all gotta start somewhere bruh, how we supposed to get experience? Share facts not opinion, unless asked for.. His eggs are the only ones that survived from the batch, did you read that? At least, they have a fighting chance now, instead of never even being born... That’s why we should keep opinions to the minimum, and actual helpful advice (Which they did provide) to the Maximum... Have a good day

We all gotta start somewhere bruh, how we supposed to get experience? Share facts not opinion, unless asked for.. His eggs are the only ones that survived from the batch, did you read that? At least, they have a fighting chance now, instead of never even being born... That’s why we should keep opinions to the minimum, and actual helpful advice (Which they did provide) to the Maximum... Have a good day

You don't learn how to take care of Chameleons by hacthing a bunch of baby Chameleons that you don't know how to care for.

It's irresponsible to give eggs to someone who doesn't know what they are doing. He got them to hatch, and that's great, and like I said, I hope he succeeds in raising them. The guy who gave them too him, also seemingly didn't know how to care for eggs as per giving him bad advice, on the egg care.

He was given advice how to hatch them, and then I critiqued the caging and told him some stuff he will need. He was asked how he plans to keep them, to which he has yet to reply. Stated he didn't reply, as he hasn't been on, whilst not replying still.

He doesn't want advice, he seemingly doesnt care that much, judging by the fact the questionnaire is still unanswered.

All said, hatching eggs is easy, caring for baby Chameleons is an entirely different ballgame.

And, Yes the opinion is needed here. It's too late for this instance, and all we can do now is Guide OP to the best of our abilities and hope he succeeds. However this cannot be made to be Okay. This situation needs to be made clear it's not okay. So it helps keep it from happening in the future. Baby Chams are extremely fragile, and sometimes just die, for seemingly no reason. It's rough, and the OP needs to be prepared for that as well. Also, not blame himself too harshly if he completely fails. If he listens to our advice and still fails, well that's why new keepers shouldn't have eggs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom