Egg Hatched! Here's some quick thoughts and tips on how the process could go a little smoother.

yoteango

Established Member
My panther egg hatched today! I'd been beginning to lose hope it would. No pics tonight, but to my inexperienced eye, the baby looked healthy and was active, using all limbs and tail. It's sleeping in a fogger right now.
The baby didn't eat, (as far as I saw) but I know it saw food and had access to water via misting. Not too worried right now.

Just wanted to share a couple tips for hatch day I wish I'd done and maybe get some others as well. I've seen some of them before, but it'd be good to repeat them.
  • Have food - I was lucky enough to have something available, even if it didn't eat, but the only local store that has fruit flies is getting them tomorrow. Producing ones seem out of stock most places.
  • Get your supplements too - Some of them are harder to find and often out of stock.
  • Set up a baby bin - At first I thought I would just throw it in a 4 foot cage, as planned, but looking at how tiny it really is, decided against that. I'd never be able to find it! And I can reuse the tub for feeders.
  • Check on it clearly - One potential issue of leaving it in a dark closet is you might not see it when it hatches! I almost didn't see it in the dim light, and that could have been a tragedy.

A couple of pictures hot off the press! Bought an egg months ago so, only have the one. Has water, food (both main types of fruit flies are running around the bin), and UVB. I still haven't seen it eat, but I'd like to attribute that to privacy or still being full from the hatch. I did see it doing the eye thing after misting, so that was neat. Not sure if it's a male or female, but I hope that first pic is clear enough to identify.
476A5845.JPG
476A5857.JPG

A couple of pictures hot off the press! Bought an egg months ago so, only have the one. Has water, food (both main types of fruit flies are running around the bin), and UVB. I still haven't seen it eat, but I'd like to attribute that to privacy or still being full from the hatch. I did see it doing the eye thing after misting, so that was neat. Not sure if it's a male or female, but I hope that first pic is clear enough to identify.
View attachment 329128 View attachment 329129
What a sweetie!!! Good job! Congrats on your egg hatch😍 my guess is female but I’m not a pro by any means so there’s a chance I’m wrong. Either way, that baby is adorable!!!

View attachment 329128 View attachment 329129
Think I see a bump in frist pic. Few more pics like frist one should be able to tell

Back
Top Bottom