Egg bound ?!

Teamjmon

Hello I’m new to chameleons . I rescued a female veiled chameleon a week ago and she is Gravid. Her back legs are ver weak which I believe might be mbd. I ordered a new uvb just in case. The family took her to the vet one day before I rescued her. The vet report says primary concern : follicular stasis, hind leg weakness. I’m currently giving her medication : enrofloxacin, meloxicam, and calcium gluconate. I’m also giving her carnivore care every other day . Since her back legs don’t work I don’t know how she will make a tunnel . I even tried making one for her and she still didn’t use it . Any advice ? I will take her to the vet this weekend . Will surgery have to be possible ? And has anyone have the egg bound surgery on their chameleon. Is it worth it? And how much does it usually cost?

Attachments

• D98C4B37-E497-4A19-BDEE-72CAFA341E08.jpeg
    D98C4B37-E497-4A19-BDEE-72CAFA341E08.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 641
  • 510414A4-59C4-43AB-A28D-241872D26FD8.jpeg
    510414A4-59C4-43AB-A28D-241872D26FD8.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 123
Where do you live not many vets are able to do the surgery successfully. I have have the surgery on 5 of my girls over the years and all but one did very well and when-on to live a long life. Cost varies per vet. My vet was usually around $600.00. The sooner they have the surgery the better the success rate. Don’t wait until she get really weak and in bad shape. She looks not only gravid but extremely overweight.

Where do you live not many vets are able to do the surgery successfully. I have have the surgery on 5 of my girls over the years and all but one did very well and when-on to live a long life. Cost varies per vet. My vet was usually around $600.00.
Ok thanks , I live in northern Va. I will ask my vet this weekend about their success rate.

I added some extra info to my post above. Dr. Stahl is an excellent chameleon vet.
Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary Services
4105 Rust Rd.
Fairfax VA.22030
703 281 3750

I don't understand why your vet put her on a medication. Did the vet say why?
The previous owner took her to the vet . The vet report says the medicine is antibiotic , treats pain and inflammation . Then I have a bag of carnivore care and some calcium gluconate.

I'm not a vet...what I say comes from experience and from what I've learned over my years of keeping chameleons.

The calcium gluonate would help her muscle strength if she has enough D3/UVB to go along with it. (I'm not saying you should up the D3 from supplements...I don't know how much you're giving her already...I'm just explaining.) She also needed extra calcium for the shelling of the eggs.

Was/is she eating on her own? If so, there's no need for carnivore care...and to give her the carnivore care you're disturbing her when she should be concentrating on egglaying.

Back
Top Bottom