Effective ways to keep a tank floor poop-free?

Any big box home improvement store carries ceramic floor tile. I'd get it as big as possible that will fit, and leave space around the edges (and maybe a little between the tiles in lieu of grout) for runoff.
I’ve been wondering...with ungrouted tile, doesn’t waste go between the tiles?

I would rather use that in my enclosure then natures miracle that has a strong odor.
Interesting. You think NM has a strong odor but Dawn doesn't? I think they both do.
Have you been tested for COVID lately? :rolleyes: ?(Covid symptom: New loss of taste or smell )

Let's see...

[Dawn] Ingredients
INGREDIENTFUNCTIONWHAT IS ITWHY IS IT IN THERE?
WATER solventwaterholds ingredients together
SODIUM LAURYL SULFATEsurfactantcleaning agent provides cleaning
SODIUM LAURETH SULFATEsurfactant cleaning agent provides cleaning
C10-16 ALKYLDIME-THYLAMINE OXIDEsurfactant cleaning agent boosts cleaning
ALCOHOL DENAT.solventsolvent*stabilizes formula
PPG-26 viscosity adjustersolvent* stabilizes formula
SODIUM CHLORIDE viscosity adjustersalt thickener
SODIUM HYDROXIDE pH adjuster mineral based pH adjusterbalances formula pH
PEI-14 PEG-24/PPG-16 COPOLYMERcleaning agent cleaning agent boosts cleaning
PHENOXYETHANOLsolventsolvent*stabilizes formula
FRAGRANCESfragranceperfumeadds scent to product
METHYLISOTHIAZO-LINONEpreservative non-formaldehyde preservativepreservative
COLORANTS, BLUE 1,YELLOW 5, RED 33colorant colorant adds color to product
C9-11 PARETH-8surfactantcleaning agentgently aids soil removal
STYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMERopacifier opacifier** makes product opaque
TETRASODIUM GLUTAMATE DIACETATEwater softenerchelantboosts soil removal
CHLOROXYLENOLantibacterial agent antibacterial agentdecreases bacteria on the skin when used as a hand soap
PHENOXY-ISOPROPANOLsolvent solvent* enhances grease cutting
GLYCERIN viscosity adjusterprocess aid stabilizes formula
SODIUM CUMENE-SULFONATEprocess aid process aid stabilizes formula
PROPYLENE GLYCOLsolventsolvent*stabilizes formula
TERPINEOLsolventsolvent*enhances grease cutting

[Nature's Miracle] Ingredients
Water, natures enzymes, isopropyl alcohol, natural citrus scent.

I think I'll stick with Nature's Miracle. ;)

Interesting. You think NM has a strong odor but Dawn doesn't? I think they both do.
Have you been tested for COVID lately? :rolleyes: ?(Covid symptom: New loss of taste or smell )

Let's see...

[Dawn] Ingredients

[Nature's Miracle] Ingredients
Water, natures enzymes, isopropyl alcohol, natural citrus scent.

I think I'll stick with Nature's Miracle. ;)
kinda a back handed comment there. And interesting considering that my original post was not even to you or commenting on the use of Nature's Miracle. It is what I do along with many other people I have talked to. I have been successfully using it for the last 2 years with a chameleon.

I’ve been wondering...with ungrouted tile, doesn’t waste go between the tiles?
The idea is for the solids to stay mainly in the plain on the tile (like the rain in Spain) :rolleyes:
and runoff from misting and plant drainage to fall around the edges/through the cracks.
Come to think of it, it probably would be better to place the tiles adjoining, and let the water find the edges. I'm tipping my enclosure just enough so the water runs out a drain so I don't have to suck it out with a turkey baster or some such...

kinda a back handed comment there. And interesting considering that my original post was not even to you or commenting on the use of Nature's Miracle. It is what I do along with many other people I have talked to. I have been successfully using it for the last 2 years with a chameleon.
If it seemed that way, I apologize; it wasn't meant that way. Both have an odor (both contain fragrances)—the ingredients are clear on that—and in wondering why we differed there (and just having come from watching news clips) my head went to the COVID thing. I'm sorry. ?‍♂️

I'm glad you're having success, but I strongly disagree that the stuff is "safe".
The reasoning that people have been doing something with no bad outcome—therefore it is safe—is flawed. I know several people who smoked cigarettes for their entire lifetimes and never got cancer. Some people don't wear seatbelts and never got in accidents. I could go on...
That doesn't mean those things are safe—it means those people were lucky.

Please note that I did not disagree with the use of peroxide. Others (in other threads) have also mentioned using alcohol, which I don't disagree with either.

Dawn is good for a lot of things, but I would not use it or recommend it where animals who are known to taste objects and surfaces might be exposed. From Dawn's own website:
The product can cause serious irritation upon prolonged contact. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately and thoroughly with plenty of water for several minutes. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention.

If you accidentally swallow dish soap, immediately drink water to dilute the product. Do not induce vomiting. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention.

I'm not saying that by using Dawn anyone is going to kill their chameleon (though I don't believe a sick chameleon is outside the realm of possibility). I'm saying what I said—the safety of the product is debatable (not just my opinion, as shown by the evidence), adding, "let folks decide for themselves."

We both feel strongly about certain subjects when it comes to the health & safety of our pets.

If it seemed that way, I apologize; it wasn't meant that way. Both have an odor (both contain fragrances)—the ingredients are clear on that—and in wondering why we differed there (and just having come from watching news clips) my head went to the COVID thing. I'm sorry. ?‍♂️

I'm glad you're having success, but I strongly disagree that the stuff is "safe".
The reasoning that people have been doing something with no bad outcome—therefore it is safe—is flawed. I know several people who smoked cigarettes for their entire lifetimes and never got cancer. Some people don't wear seatbelts and never got in accidents. I could go on...
That doesn't mean those things are safe—it means those people were lucky.

Please note that I did not disagree with the use of peroxide. Others (in other threads) have also mentioned using alcohol, which I don't disagree with either.

Dawn is good for a lot of things, but I would not use it or recommend it where animals who are known to taste objects and surfaces might be exposed. From Dawn's own website:

I'm not saying that by using Dawn anyone is going to kill their chameleon (though I don't believe a sick chameleon is outside the realm of possibility). I'm saying what I said—the safety of the product is debatable (not just my opinion, as shown by the evidence), adding, "let folks decide for themselves."

We both feel strongly about certain subjects when it comes to the health & safety of our pets.
I will do for my 3 chameleons what I have been taught by people that have chameleons and when you get a chameleon you can do for it the way you want to.

The funny thing is you act like I am spraying the enclosure with it. I am CLEANING A FLOOR PANEL. With a bit of soapy hot water on a paper towel. If my cham is on the floor panel licking it then I think I have bigger issues.

I will do for my 3 chameleons what I have been taught by people that have chameleons and when you get a chameleon you can do for it the way you want to.
Who's being backhanded?

The funny thing is you act like I am spraying the enclosure with it.
No, I observed that the statement that the product is "safe" (and has no odor) is debatable.

carcinogens in dawn dish soap

Another question about Dawn that is debatable is whether or not it contains formaldehyde.
The company lists (previous post) ingredients, but is that list complete?
IDK; some sources (below) contend it is not.

In searching does dawn contain formaldehyde, several sources concur that Dawn does contain formaldehyde, and one admonished in part:
Formaldehyde is added to a dish detergent to enhance the smell, so it's usually found only in scented products. If you don't find this compound listed on the label, it doesn't necessarily mean the product is formaldehyde-free. Many products contain the preservative quaternium, which acts by releasing formaldehyde when it's exposed to water.
Also in that search is an article by Target (which does sell Dawn) entitled Formaldehyde-free : Dish Detergents. Dawn is not one of those stipulated as formaldehyde-free.

lol If they can bathe oil covered birds in it to remove the oil and the birds have no issues then I will go with safe.

That's the question, isn't it? People also use it for house & garden pest & weed control.

The oily wildlife marketing campaign (see 2nd link below) wouldn't be the first time
P&G has been associated with greenwashing. (<— many articles)

Greenwashing (<— single article)

I agree people can care for their chameleons the way they want (short of abuse or neglect).
I also think it behooves them to be informed on both sides of an issue to help them make the best decisions for them.

Back
Top Bottom