Edible egg

My only concern is that they aren't pasteurized. I don't want some exotic form of salmonella

I was thinking about that. Salmonella would be a risk but if cooked thoroughly just like chicken eggs it would be killed by heat. I wouldn't eat them runny at all. I'm not even recommending you eat them just thinking out loud.
Reptile eggs are eaten in some cultures. Turtle eggs are all I can think of. I believe somewhere they eat chameleons (correct me if I'm wrong). I know the indigenous Australians eat goanas. I've even eaten alligator meat (tastes like fishy pork).
I'd love to know if someone has done this. It seems like all we put into keeping them, more than backyard chickens some one should get something back.

I think we should consult the staff and give this thread (author) the Thwart Dmitri Smerdyakov trophy (there are no requisites for it after all)

I was thinking about that. Salmonella would be a risk but if cooked thoroughly just like chicken eggs it would be killed by heat. I wouldn't eat them runny at all. I'm not even recommending you eat them just thinking out loud.
Reptile eggs are eaten in some cultures. Turtle eggs are all I can think of. I believe somewhere they eat chameleons (correct me if I'm wrong). I know the indigenous Australians eat goanas. I've even eaten alligator meat (tastes like fishy pork).
I'd love to know if someone has done this. It seems like all we put into keeping them, more than backyard chickens some one should get something back.

People in Central America (maybe South America too) eat iguanas. I've never heard or read of people eating chameleons, but would be interesting to find out if some cultures do.

As a former chef I feel compelled to add my 2 cents to this discussion, and let me say I've loved it thus far. Yes, by cooking you will kill the samonella that might be present in the eggs, but honestly you should be just as concerned with commercially produced chicken eggs. As for eating them, I can't see why you couldn't, but I'd never attempt any sort of individualized egg cooking (like hard-boiling, or sunny-side up), and instead would just mix a bunch together for scrambled eggs. With their leathery shells I'd think you'd have to hold them over your bowl and poke a large hole into them to let them drain into the bowl. I am now wondering how they would hold up if you baked with them? All this being said, I don't have a female, and even if I did I'm not sure I could bring myself to try any of these things, I'm just armchair cheffing it right now.

As for the questions about eating them, I've never done that, but I have eaten iguana when I was in Bonaire. They made it into a stew, but just cut up the body so it was full of bones. My poor husband watched me for about 45 minutes try to separate out all the bones from the rest of the stew and it's not something I'd repeat. As for the flavor it was fairly non-descript, but on the chicken spectrum. Again, it was the inner chef in me wanting to try it. If I were ever in Africa and came across a roadside stand selling them, I might be interested enough to try them, but I think like frogs' legs there just isn't enough meat on them to justify the work in eating them.

Back
Top Bottom