Eco-Terra Screen Terrarium 36x18x36, Backgrounds, Mist King and Unprecedented Deaths

gsmith31

Hi everyone,

I am brand spanking new on this forum and excited to learn from all you seasoned Chameleon enthusiasts here. I just got my first chameleon (Veiled) a month ago or so on impulse with little to no thought of what it would entail. I fell victim to the starter kit at the pet store and am now looking to upgrade that enclosure. I currently have the Zoo Med Repti Breeze. I find that it is too small and flimsy. I'm interested in the Exo-Terra XL/XT and am wondering if it is equally as flimsy. Also, I am having trouble finding backgrounds to fit that size. Thoughts?

Also, between the Monsoon Solo and The Little Dripper, I might as well throw some fish and hope that my feeders will get a clue and learn to swim. Anyway, exhausted from mopping and picking out dead feeders that drowned on a twice-daily basis, I added a 2-way gang valve to control the drip. It has helped some but everything is still soaked. I have modified the settings on the Monsoon but then it wasn't providing enough moisture to merit even having it. I was thinking of getting a Mist King and returning the Monsoon. It looks complicated to set up and operate. I like the idea of compact and easy. With that said, can anyone advise if the Mist King will get the job done better than the monsoon that the Monsoon is causing? Are there other misting systems that mist adequately without "raining/flooding"? Or is there a way to modify the Monsoon to improve how it mists? I live in the Houston area and it is very humid here. Do I still need to add a fogger in addition to a mister and dripper for humidity? I don't mind adding a fogger if Blu needs it but, if I don't have to spend money on that, I can replace the drown feeders! lol

I appreciate all advice or suggestions. If any of it is technical, please explain it to me like you're speaking to an 8-year-old.

Cheers,

Gabriela

Hi and welcome! ? I have no clue about comparison between Monsoon and Mist King, as I only have a Mist King. I too was afraid that it looked too technical and difficult to set up. It only looks that way. Lol. The hardest part is setting the timer as the enclosed directions weren’t clear enough for my simple mind. I think whichever you use, you will be needing to address how to manage excess drainage. I have XL Repti Breezes with the stand. I just drilled a few small holes and keep a bucket beneath. To help guide the water, I put my lay bin on top. A heavy plant would work too.
I’ve only had the Repti Breeze enclosures and they do tend to warp a bit, but I have a lot of weight in them. I’ve heard they rust easily, but mine haven’t yet. Other members say good things about DIYcages.com. If money is not as big a concern as having a quality enclosure, Dragon Strand is the way to go.
Dragon Strand also has things available that can be used in just about any enclosure such as a drainage tray and dragon ledges to hang branches and plants from.

I appreciate all advice or suggestions. If any of it is technical, please explain it to me like you're speaking to an 8-year-old.
AHH...

I'm interested in the Exo-Terra XL/XT and am wondering if it is equally as flimsy. Also, I am having trouble finding backgrounds to fit that size. Thoughts?
Probably. The cages built by Dragon Strand (sponsor) are considered cadillacs, as is MistKing (sponsor) for misters.

A lot of folks here build their own enclosures to get the size, quality, features, etc. they want. It's not rocket surgery. ;) Neither are custom (home-made) backgrounds. Lots of wisdom here on both counts.

There is also a mister (allegedly comparable to MK) known as Climist.com but I emailed them with a question, and they never responded. ?‍♂️ With a MistKing, TMK, you shouldn't need a fogger or dripper; the mist should gather enough on leaves to provide drinking water.

Humidity can be maintained in lots of ways.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/642786/?q=maintaining+humidity&o=relevance

Your feeders shouldn't be drowning. How are you feeding them? Something like a feeder run cup should help (may need to drill a small drainage hole).

A lot of us mist twice a day, and fog at night for a few hours. Thats why we have a mister and a fogger. I have the dragon strand drip tray for my reptibreeze enclosure, and it is wonderful for excess water. I just take my shop vac and suck out the extra water whenever I notice it. It keeps my escaped feeders dry and no water build up in the enclosure. Also, do you free range your feeders? You may like to check out fullthrottlefeeders.com for a feeder run. Or possibly the one tkchameleons.com makes. Both are fantstic feeder runs that keep your prey items in one spot.

You may benefit from filling out the help form.

Back
Top Bottom