Eco Friendly Fertilizers...

Yak

Hibiscus
Hi Everyone, thank you for taking the time to Reading my thread and in advance, thank you for those willing to answer objectively as I value your time.
I purchased a Hibiscus plant from (Insert here a big chain store that carries nursery material) and the plant was doing great since day one, especially since I also purchased a tropic sun 5500K daylight to go in my 6 month old, panther chameleon, in addition to his ReptiGlo 5.0uvb
Please bear with me and feel free to ask in case I missed anything. Since this is a plant related issue I am not providing the full scope about the chameleon, however I may answer anything that comes to mind, anyone thinks it is of relevance.
Continuing, about the plant. The plant was doing fine, but I noticed “Kammy” (the chameleon) developed a habit of going to the plant every mornig and noticing when was eating dirt, after he manually removed all the rocks covering the dirt. Days later I discovered pin worms out of his butt, so I added the dots.
I went ahead and decided to reuse the other plant in the garden outside; as I was repotting it I noticed lots of redworms and some eggs of some sort, orange a bit smaller than salmon eggs… Whatever they were I removed them and re planted in new soil. The plant didn’t like the new soil and it’s sort of weak now.
I bought a new plant for the enclosure two weeks ago; it appeared as healthy as the previous one before replantation. This new one I replanted it using Eco Earth.
The plant is progressively withering, and although it isn’t dead yet I see the leaves yellowing and basically looking all sad.
Is there an organic form to add some form of fertilization? I suspect Eco Earth has zero to none nutrients…
I honestly don’t know…

Thanks again

I would avoid any pelletized fertilizers and use a liquid one instead. I like organic fertilizers in the garden, but i would not use them in an enclosure. Most stink to high hell. If you've ever used fish emulsion, you'll know what I mean.

I would use a liquid fertilizer, but smell it first. It should not have a smell. I use miracle-gro. Make sure your cham can't get at the soil afterwards.

I take whole pecans and crush the shell and all up and mix it into the top layer of dirt. That makes very good plant food for mine. I learned that from my grandmother a long time ago she had house plains that were giants in her house and that's all she ever gave them to keep them growing and healthy.

What kind of plant is the other plant? It could just be shocked from being brought inside. A lot of plants go through a leaf drop period after being brought inside and kept under artificial light. Give it a couple of weeks and it will start new growth.

Carl

I would avoid any pelletized fertilizers and use a liquid one instead. I like organic fertilizers in the garden, but i would not use them in an enclosure. Most stink to high hell. If you've ever used fish emulsion, you'll know what I mean.

I would use a liquid fertilizer, but smell it first. It should not have a smell. I use miracle-gro. Make sure your cham can't get at the soil afterwards.

Thanks Mike.
Hey are you going to the Sacramento show

I take whole pecans and crush the shell and all up and mix it into the top layer of dirt. That makes very good plant food for mine. I learned that from my grandmother a long time ago she had house plains that were giants in her house and that's all she ever gave them to keep them growing and healthy.

Great thank you I should try that

What kind of plant is the other plant? It could just be shocked from being brought inside. A lot of plants go through a leaf drop period after being brought inside and kept under artificial light. Give it a couple of weeks and it will start new growth.

Carl

I Carl
Its a Hibiscus again, I also have a pothos.

Back
Top Bottom