Echo

Chene

My daughter got a chameleon about 2 months ago from a pet store. We didn't get a lot of information on how often to give her Calcium. She developed MBD. There are no vets around us so I used the internet and went back to the pet store and got her vitamins. She fell off her branch and broke her back leg so I removed the anything she could fall from. She is getting stronger after a week on the vitamins but what should I do about her leg. I have seen different things on what to do.

Attachments

• 20190127_113119.jpg
    20190127_113119.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 90
My daughter got a chameleon about 2 months ago from a pet store. We didn't get a lot of information on how often to give her Calcium. She developed MBD. There are no vets around us so I used the internet and went back to the pet store and got her vitamins. She fell off her branch and broke her back leg so I removed the anything she could fall from. She is getting stronger after a week on the vitamins but what should I do about her leg. I have seen different things on what to do.
Can you fill out this form and post pics of the entire enclosure including lights. This is the best way to get assistance from the experienced keepers.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

We have her in a temporary environment until she heals but this is what we are giving her and what we feed the crickets we are almost 3hrs away from a pet store so we buy them 100 at a time and keep them in a separate area. I know her light is ok because she gets the deposits on her nose. She also gets window time to her ability.

Attachments

• 20190127_214155.jpg
    20190127_214155.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190127_214129.jpg
    20190127_214129.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190127_214111.jpg
    20190127_214111.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20190127_214058.jpg
    20190127_214058.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 73
Your light is not OK, Also calcium.You need linear UVB and calcium without D3. As Beman said, fill the Help Form so they could try to help. Poor cham ...

I purchased what the pet store suggested. I have never had a chameleon before and am trying to help her. I am concerned right now for her leg. I can work on getting better equipment for her if I knew what she needed. Yes poor cham but I'm not doing it on purpose. I have asked and did ask before I purchased her. This is what I was told to get for her.

I can’t speak from experience on the care of the break, I’ll leave that to those who have successfully healed them.

What I can offer is that you do need to correct your lighting, and supplementation, ASAP. That is a large part of why you have the issue you do. Coil bulbs and time by a window are insufficient for a cham....windowsblock uvb rays, that’s how we do not get burned through them. You need linear lighting and calcium without d3; d3 is fat soluble and they can OD on it. If you opt for t8 lighting instead of t5ho you will need the calcium with d3 every other week only. Too much will be counter productive. You’ll also want a multivitamin every other week.

The white from the nose is excess salts, it is not related to lighting. The correct lighting and supplements will treat the underlying MBD, which is what lead to the fall and fracture.

Pet stores often give bad advice, please know people here only want to help you and your cham. Many of us get bad info at first, you are not alone! Please fill out the help form posted so you can get the best help possible. Details are important with these little guys.

We don't blame you, the pet store only cares about money, they just put together whatever cheap kit they can, then boost the price, they have no business selling chams they know nothing about, sorry for your cham!!! Please take your cham to the vet, and fill out the help form!! Please!!

Unfortunately most stores that you can buy Chameleons from are not selling the right products and the staff is not educated in the care that these little guys desperately have to have in order to live healthy fulfilled lives. Buying the wrong items is very very common when prior education has not been done. I do not say this to upset you. I say it because I too was told to buy all the wrong items. I had to do a complete replacement on everything. But this forum is here to give you support.
I will say that from what I am able to see in your pics this Chameleon needs a Vet. There are multiple issues going on here. The only thing we can do is tell you how to correct the main husbandry issues but with an advanced case of MBD the Cham desperately needs an experienced reptile vet or a painful death is certain. The compact bulb is unfortunately no good and will not supply the right amount of light for D3 conversion in the body. What in turn happens is the body breaks down the bones sucking the calcium out of them. Makes them extremely fragile and breakable as you have seen. The nostrils producing white stuff is a common sign of over supplementation. But again the only way we can try to help you is to fill out this form in as much detail as possible.

Can you fill out this form and post pics of the entire enclosure including lights. This is the best way to get assistance from the experienced keepers.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I hope you take your chameleon to the vet!! This is not your fault!! I think there should be a criminal/cruelty lawsuit against box pet stores giving out incorrect husbandry info that ends badly and pushing cheap kits thats overpriced death for a chameleon

I think the best thing to do here is drive to the nearest vet, I know you stated that there are none close by but it is probably necessary at this point.

Back
Top Bottom