Eating troubles

GuallaGualla

Hey guys,
Been noticing my veiled is not eating as much as he used to. I give him crickets, roaches, super worms, silkworms, soldier fly larvae and hornworms at times. Crickets and roaches are the main, and I usually let them free range and they go away! Lol. But yeah, I have the 18x18x36 reptibreeze set up with the items it came with. Basking spot on the coconut is between 84 and 90, as he goes lower the temp goes down to about 69-71. It’s a bio active set up, I mist it with a hand sprayer about 4-5 times a day and have the big dropper uptop. I dust with 3 parts calcium to 1 reptivite, the lights are the 5.0 uvb and the daylight 60w that fit into the double dome it came with. About a week ago, I realized the blue bulb actually broke right at the base, so there was maybe a day he didn’t have it. I never realized it till I was cleaning his cage out. I have a 24x24x48 set up, but I’m waiting on it to grow in and till I have some money to get the 22” linear lights. Anyway you guys could help? It’s been like almost three days. Also he’s about 6months old, and recently shed but it seems it was only his hands/feet/head. He often wants out of the enclosure, it’s full of live plants and fake plants (like moss vines). He likes to be out and chilling with us.
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled chameleon, he’s about 6-7 months now, had him a little over 2 months now
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Just about everyday, he always wants out and doesn’t seem to change to his stress colors
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I go in and turn his lights on around 9 am and then an hour later give him about 7 dusted crickets, a silk worm or superworm and a few roaches. But the amount varies.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Reptivite D3, reptical. I mix 3-1 parts and the crickets/roaches get fruits/vegetables and bug grub
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Hand mister, about half the bottle each time, 3-4 times a day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested, bigger darkish brown logs basically, the pee is usually pretty white, a little orange like seepage here and there.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Just about the light breaking the other day

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 16x16x30
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Turn on at 9am, off around 10pm. 60w daylight blue and 5.0 in vine the double dome combo
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Exo terra humidity and temp gage
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Between 45 and 60, hand misting and dripper
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Swedish ivy, honeysuckle, dracaena, neoregelia, resurrecting fern moss logs and also fake vines/leaves
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is in our back room, on a rack about 3 ft up from the floor
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Pennsylvania, near State College

image.jpg

Last edited:
Can you please fill out the how to ask for help form and provide pictures of you Cham and his enclosure please.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

If his cage has been cooler that could affect his appetite as could several other factors. The information on the form above can help us sort it out for you.

Hey! Yeah I was trying to figure out where all the questions to that were included since this is my first post so I tried to be as descriptive as I could since I didn’t see it. I provided 2 photos.

He often wants out of the enclosure, it’s full of live plants and fake plants (like moss vines). He likes to be out and chilling with us.

This is a sign that he doesn’t like his cage and is looking for somewhere better and looking at you pic it’s not a surprise since he’s way to big for that cage.

This is a sign that he doesn’t like his cage and is looking for somewhere better and looking at you pic it’s not a surprise since he’s way to big for that cage.
Definitely too small of a cage for him. From the looks of it he spans almost the whole width of the cage. And with him screen walking could be another sign that your husbandry is off point.

image.jpg
Waiting on this to grow in a little more, before I transition him, thanks everyone for the help. Also, this is 24x24x48, what lights would you guys recommend? For the UVB/A, I already have good plant lights from Joshs Frogs that’re 6400K.

Hey guys, so update:
I moved Dizzle to his new 24x24x48 and he’s not screen walking so much nor trying to get out, so that’s good. But, he’s still not paying any attention to his crickets or roaches. Or silkworms. Yesterday I dropped 4 crickets, 3 1-1 1/2 roaches, a superworm and a hornworm and he only went for the super. Yesterday. Today I saw him try to land fruit flies and must have got a few. I’m wondering what to do, or will he just eat when he feels like it? Should I keep putting food items in there? Also, there is a 5.0 UVB, 2 6400 k plant lights and a 100W daylight bulb. I’m trying to get the mercury bulbs or the sun ray but the Sunray is like 174$

Hey guys, so update:
I moved Dizzle to his new 24x24x48 and he’s not screen walking so much nor trying to get out, so that’s good. But, he’s still not paying any attention to his crickets or roaches. Or silkworms. Yesterday I dropped 4 crickets, 3 1-1 1/2 roaches, a superworm and a hornworm and he only went for the super. Yesterday. Today I saw him try to land fruit flies and must have got a few. I’m wondering what to do, or will he just eat when he feels like it? Should I keep putting food items in there? Also, there is a 5.0 UVB, 2 6400 k plant lights and a 100W daylight bulb. I’m trying to get the mercury bulbs or the sun ray but the Sunray is like 174$

I don’t know the reasoning but I have heard that MVB and MH bulbs aren’t good for chams.

Back
Top Bottom