Eating So Much

jonr

k i have a aprox age is 3-5 month male veiled and he his eating around 20 on up crickets a day. Should i get the lg crickets or stick to the small for now?

What size crickets are you feeding him? The breeder I got Diego (my panther cham) said she feeds her panther chams, even the adults, 1/2" crickets.

Forgot this part... she said anything bigger is just filler & not nutritious. At 1/2" the abdomen is fully developed.

Forgot this part... she said anything bigger is just filler & not nutritious. At 1/2" the abdomen is fully developed.

Does she have any scientific evidence to support this claim? That would imply that the abdomen is the only source of nutrition and that after it is fully developed that it loses value (even though it would remain fully developed after that age). I don't think I buy that without any proof behind that. A lot of breeders (of any animal) tend to stick to claims that don't have any evidence of truth because it can make them sound more knowledgable so you're more inclined to buy from someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about, in my experience anyway. That's not to say the breeder you got him from couldn't have been knowledgable or a responsible breeder, but that claim sounds like something someone made up.

Last edited:
also i guess i could just attempt to get 1/2 and c how it goes all i know he is a ALWAYS hungry lol

thank the local pet store only sales small and lg.... small around 1/4 and lg around 1/2

Not bad sizes to choose from, my pet stores smalls are anywhere between 1/4 (if I'm very lucky) to 1/2"+. It's hard for me to get the 1/4 inch usually they are closer to 1/2 or a little larger, so I have to buy smaller quanities then I would like :mad:. The large are 1"+ and I don't think I would ever buy that size. It does seem like 1/4" might not be doing it for him. moviemanmania made a great point of size of cricket to your chams head width... good rule of thumb.

Does she have any scientific evidence to support this claim? That would imply that the abdomen is the only source of nutrition and that after it is fully developed that it loses value (even though it would remain fully developed after that age). I don't think I buy that without any proof behind that. A lot of breeders (of any animal) tend to stick to claims that don't have any evidence of truth because it can make them sound more knowledgable so you're more inclined to buy from someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about, in my experience anyway. That's not to say the breeder you got him from couldn't have been knowledgable or a responsible breeder, but that claim sounds like something someone made up.

Maybe she does have scientific evidence :p or maybe I misquoted but pretty sure I did remember being told about that... Now I'm gonna have to look into it. Thanks I'll be googling all night- NAH ;):p:D

Back
Top Bottom