Eating plants?

Amydaveg

My 6 month old panther has been eating thr plan in his enclosure, a ficus elastica.

Does this mean I should be giving him greens as part of diet?

Attachments

• 20180930_080042.jpg
    20180930_080042.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 20180930_080105.jpg
    20180930_080105.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 101
It’s unusual but not in heard of for a panther to eat greens.

The ones that do are usually trying to get nutrients their diet isn’t providing him. Please fill out the help form with emphasis on the Feeder/Gutload/supplementation sections.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

It’s unusual but not in heard of for a panther to eat greens.

The ones that do are usually trying to get nutrients their diet isn’t providing him. Please fill out the help form with emphasis on the Feeder/Gutload/supplementation sections.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Panther , male, 6 months old, been in my care since 3rd month

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Never

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

He eats daily a combination of crickets black solder flies
Treats are horn worms and superworms
I gutload the crickets with the forum seller Andees gutload

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Reptical without d every feed
Reptivite every other week
Reptical with d every other week

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Retimister every 3 hours x 15 seconds plus manual spraying 3 times per day

He seems to be drinking

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Looks normal to me
Occ white and brown

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

No

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Reptibreeze lg screen

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

Reptisun 75w day
Reptisun uvb t5 14 inch strip lite
All lights on at 745 am and off at 8pm

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Basking 82
Floor 70

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

Not checking humidity , maybe that's the problem
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Ficus Elastica

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

On dresser next to window

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

He seems to love eating the plants

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

I am wondering if he's dehydrated at all. Like chronically so in small amounts? That's not a long misting session, how long are your hand mistings? I never go under 2 minutes.

The other thing I recommend is if you aren't using fruits and veggies in your gutload routine yet definitely should start including them. I use fruits, veggies, and leafy greens in my food regime for my feeders including my gutload.

When did he start eating the plant?

I thought it was the crickets, but them I saw him pulling on the leaves
I would have to say at least a month or so.

I use water Crystal's with your gut loads but I hate adding things that will smell after a few days.

I'm going to increase the misting time and frequency and see how that helps

Can't wait to get a December build of the dragonstrand so I dont get my whole dresser wet

What are you gutloading and watering the feeders with? Do you dust them? How long and often are you misting? Do you have a dripper? If you fill out the ask for help form, it will help us help you.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
" ◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

He eats daily a combination of crickets black solder flies
Treats are horn worms and superworms
I gutload the crickets with the forum seller Andees gutload "

Misting for 15 seconds is too short. Mist for a minimum of 2 minutes, but preferably 5 minutes, at least 3, but preferably more, times a day

Thanks for the advice.
My crickets have water crystals and the potato that they shipped with.
I always make sure they have plenty of water crystals.

I actually put some kale in yesterday and I think he ate it.

I think your other questions I answered in the questions sheet.

I have a feeling it's a water issue

I have a dripper but it's not setup.

Think that would be a good addition?

Attachments

• 1540464809785267413748892974046.jpg
    1540464809785267413748892974046.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.
My crickets have water crystals and the potato that they shipped with.
I always make sure they have plenty of water crystals.

I actually put some kale in yesterday and I think he ate it.

I think your other questions I answered in the questions sheet.

I have a feeling it's a water issue

I have a dripper but it's not setup.

Think that would be a good addition?
Potato is a bad gutload, use the gutload you bought (unless I’m reading this wrong and you use potatoes for watering).

Don’t think Amy is gutloading with potatoes, they were in the box her crickets shipped in.

Water crystals are your problem, scrap them. Get a dry gutload like cricket crack and mix in water until it’s a bit thinner than peanut butter and serve in small quantity’s. I usually put the mix on a deli cup lid to keep the tank clean.
80696869-BA20-45C6-B8C2-F981CCE47A8D.jpeg
93942A1D-FF6B-4016-B26F-F020431D078D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom