eating peat/soil

ericcham

Hi i have noticed that Eric sometimes eats mud, is this normal? i have been told that it is due to food digesting, he then goes for a drink straight after!

I would like a 2nd/3rd etc opinion if anyone can advise

Thanks

It is not good for your chameleon to ingest substrate of any kind. It could lead to impaction and potentially death.

If Eric continues to eat the substrate then I would consider taking it out.

ok but why does he do it though? i feed him everyday and he eats so i dont get it! like i say a couple of people have told me it is to help digest food as there are food sources in the soil/mud

This is why substrate is not recommended at the bottom of chameleon cages. They do not need soil or rocks to aid in digestion, that is just a myth. It happens very frequently but is not a good thing as people have had chameleons die from impactions from eating their substrate. Also mud being present means that you are creating a good breeding ground for bacteria and mold, which readily grow in warm, moist environments. This is not good for your chameleon either. Some people can get away with having substrate in their cages because their chameleon has no interest in it. This is obviously not the case with Eric so you should remove the substrate immediately to avoid health problems caused by this behavior.

ok but why does he do it though? i feed him everyday and he eats so i dont get it! like i say a couple of people have told me it is to help digest food as there are food sources in the soil/mud

Whoever told you this was mistaken. Chameleons live in the trees and shoot flying and crawling insects at their level. They do not go to the ground hardly at all, and certainly not to dig around in the soil and hunt! No part of their anatomy is adapted for digging up food. That is not natural behavior. We don't know the exact reasons they do it, maybe they just like the taste. But in changing their environment and limiting them to a small space rather than an entire forest they behave differently.

Not 100% sure if anyone really knows why they want to eat dirt, substrate, bite on branches etc. I agree with the other member, if he is eating it, then take it out or cover it up if it is in a plant. There was a member on here way back who's chameleon was eating sand and it died. They did a necropsy on it and it was full sand! Whether the sand actually killed it or not, who can say for sure. But it died after injesting the sand. If you have potted plants with soil, then cover them with some large river rocks. Big enough so it cannot eat the rocks.

my camo loves to eat soil he is a pain that way i have to watch hi close in his freereange... i too argee its not good but i however would like to know more about why it is that some seem to insist on it. are they misinga nurient, digestive help, tastes good, looking for lavre, i dont know but there has to be a reason. also has anyone (mr anderson) ever seen them do this in the wild...
i still prevent my chams from eating it but am still curious as the the exact reasons they do so..

jmo
hoj

thanks for your advice, he is in need of a clean (well his tank) and i have submitted another forum post to ask some advice, what is the best soil/peat etc to use? especially as he is eating it?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom