Eating leaves?

Cleis85

I know its not unusual for chams to eat peices of their leaves but I was wondering how could i go about offering my baby mellers some good greens like leaf lettuce or even something else (i read of ppl giving their chams oranges?) rather than having him eat peices of the pothis plants once in a while. And should I maybe offer more food? Is this a sign that he might be hungrier after I feed him?

Usually veileds are the only "leaf eaters". I don't know about mellers but I wouldn't think so... I'll let one of the many meller keepers around here make the call for sure.

You can offer leafy greens to Melleri. Along with ripe fresh fruits. Just don't force it and be sure that all of your offerings are organic and well washed.

So is it alright to give them oranges? I am curious.

My veiled has no interest in fresh greens. She is about 5 months and I put fresh greens in her enclosure every day and she has yet to touch them.

So is it alright to give them oranges? I am curious.

My veiled has no interest in fresh greens. She is about 5 months and I put fresh greens in her enclosure every day and she has yet to touch them.

Same thing with my 5 month veiled. He'll mow through chomping on the pothos and schafferlla but won't touch any of the greens I put in. He doesn't do this everyday but when he does its like he's a goat. You can try oranges, apples, etc just make sure to cut them up into small edible pieces. Just make sure to properly gutload your feeders and she'll do fine even with out greens directly in her diet. Don't give up though it may just take her a while to catch on and want to try out the funky leaves that are just sitting there, not connected to a plant.

Same thing with my 5 month veiled. He'll mow through chomping on the pothos and schafferlla but won't touch any of the greens I put in. He doesn't do this everyday but when he does its like he's a goat. You can try oranges, apples, etc just make sure to cut them up into small edible pieces. Just make sure to properly gutload your feeders and she'll do fine even with out greens directly in her diet. Don't give up though it may just take her a while to catch on and want to try out the funky leaves that are just sitting there, not connected to a plant.

Thanks. Ya she will chow down on her ficus and schaffleras but its a no go with the greens. :) I will cut up some apple and offer it to her tonight at dinner. Maybe I will feed her in her cup and put the apple in there so she might get it accidentally. :)

I've seen a veiled being coaxed into eating greens by the owner holding the leaf out and shaking it - catch the eye with movement. Don't know if anybody else does this. My panther has never shown any interest in plant matter (wedding rings, polished fingernails and, once, my blinking eye, are other matters).

I gave my vield some lettuce and he carried it round in his mouth like a dog but didnt eat it!!! He also has an interest in buttons!?!?! :confused:

15122008032.jpg C

My cham fetching lettuce

Thanks. :D He had the lettuce and was kinda eyeing me suspiciously but he kept hold of that lettuce good and proper!

I know its not unusual for chams to eat peices of their leaves but I was wondering how could i go about offering my baby mellers some good greens like leaf lettuce or even something else (i read of ppl giving their chams oranges?) rather than having him eat peices of the pothis plants once in a while. And should I maybe offer more food? Is this a sign that he might be hungrier after I feed him?

I noticed my juv veiled chameleon trying to eat the little plastic "shoot" of fresh growth in the middle of a fake plastic plant. I put a wad of lettuce on top of the little shoot, and within 5 minutes he cruised over and munched it all down. It was pretty funny to see!

It does take them a few days to figure out whats what so far as the good greens and fruits. Chop up some kale, mustard greens, carrot, and apple and just place a little in a feeding cup with some mealworms. The chameleon will go for the mealworms and catch some of the greens and fruits by accident. Next time the chameleon is fed it will actively seek out the greens and fruits even if they are just sitting there with no insect prey around. My Veiled only chomped on pothos at first. After a few days, she is now running around the cage looking for bits of veggies and fruits that I place on the leaves of the pothos and does not even care for the pothos anymore. Wetting down the pothos leaves before placing veggies on them helps hold the goodies on and will also attract the cham when it wants a drink.

i've heard a worm saled works well. pl ace some supers over some aproved greens and when they go for the worm greens are sure to follow

Back
Top Bottom