I recently put a laying bin in the enclosure for my female veiled chameleon due to being more active and wandering around the bottom of the cage. I just checked on her and she is eating the dirt. Should I take out the laying bin???
Thanks so much for including this! It is soooo helpful when these questions are answered!I just looked through your past posts to see if you ever filled out the help form... Someone did recommend you fill it out. I think you really should so we can check everything. Eating dirt is something they do when their supplementation is not correct. Also I saw a post you did where you commented about having a night light? No lights at all at night for chams. 12hours on 12hours off with total darkness...
- Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
- Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
- Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
- Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
- Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
- Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
- History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
- Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
- Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
- Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
- Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
- Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
- Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
- Location - Where are you geographically located?