Eating dead crickets?

Leon911

Hello, my I have been witnessing my chameleon eating some dead crickets. He prefers them to be alive but if none can be found he will feast upon the bodies of the slain crickets.

Is this normal behaviour? should I perhaps feed him moar?

hmm. i think i would not let the chameleon eat the dead crickets. i have heard that the dead ones give off toxic fumes. so i would think that it would not be safe for the Cham. i would just feed him a few more feeders then you have been. or maybe toss a few worms in a cup in the bottom of the cage each morning along with the other feeders as usual.
And get the skeletons out.

hmmm...well, he seems very accommodating. I know of people who buy battery powered feeder bowls that vibrate to make the dead crickets look alive.

However, I'd sort of think you want to up both your feeding and cleaning schedules. Get the dead bodies out before they are too far gone.

Based on the whole gut loading factor it's def healthier to feed living prey, but i guess it depends on how long they have been dead . i would have to say feeding off dead crickets is not the best idea. Im surprised it even ate dead crickets at all. i would try different types of feeders if you guy is being stubborn

I wont allow it to eat crickets that have died in there (and I would consider looking into why they are dying too) but you can freeze healthy living crickets (or buy frozen if cheaper/convenient) and use a vibrating bowl, but I suggest live is best.

I wouldn't let him eat dead crickets. As cheap as crickets are I would just feed him more or feed him more often. You should remove the dead ones anyway. :cool:

make sure you are housing your crickets sanitary with plenty of ventilation,hydration, and enough gutload that they will finish in a mannerly time. Those few things will extend the short life of these creepy crawlers and gurantee a healthier well balanced meal. ;)

As for eating dead crickets thats just nasty. Dont let him, clean them out of there.

I try my best daily of course to remove all or any dead crickets etc. Might want to try and get the buggers out before he can get to em. Good luck.

I am not saying that eating dead crickets is a good thing but they do sell dead crickets ... "Can-o-Crickets".

dead crickets sold at pet stores are more than likely healthy crickets that were killed for packaging and preserved for food. Not just some random dead crickets tha died from illness or what ever their fate in the cage before consumption was.

Back
Top Bottom