Eating almost nothing but veggies now?

cns2782

Hi, I dont know if I should be worried, but I have been feeding my 7 month old veiled kale, little bits of apples, carrot shavings and a slice of squash. I weave them into the vines or set the pieces on the leaves of my scheflea plant so he has to hunt to find it, but here lately he has only been eating about three to five crickets a day and eating mainly the veggies. Is this okay or should I pull most of the veggie supplements out?

Thanks

I am by no means an expert, but my guess is he is slowing down his eating habits since is is getting to the 8 month mark. 3-5 crickets and the veggies and fruit are probably enough for him. Veggies and fruit are good for Veiled

I realise that this may sound stupid, but is the squash cooked, par-cooked or raw? i haven't tried veggies yet and looking at ones to include, just wanted to know if they can deal with hard veggies.

that's awesome that your cham is such a champ with the veggies! my veiled ate on chomp (that i know of) of a ficus leaf and that was all she wrote. :confused:

Insects are the primary diet, and should be offered. HOWEVER, I know that many people - including me - have kept veileds healthy, and in breeding condition (laying healthy eggs) on a primarily vegetable and fruit diet.

They can live long with or without plant matter. I do believe a good bit of plants is better than none.

One of my females used to eat plants a few times a week, and only have 2-4 insects per week on average. She laid good clutches of eggs, which hatched into healty strong babies. She was very productive, and lived to be 4-5 years old. For the number of clutches she laid (two a year, and they were good sized, too about 30-40 per clutch), that wasn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom