Eating/acting funny

gremlin980

So my chameleon cage set up is fine, he just moved in to his new enclosure about a week ago, but has yet to pick up his eating habits. Since I have had him for this past week, he has only eaten 3 superworms and maybe 2-3 crickets. Then today he was putting on an odd act. At first he was stretching out and pointing his nose upward, making a puff/hiccup/cough noise almost. Then shortly after he sucked his stomach in entirely until it was completely concave(displaying all of his ribs). Making him look beyond emaciated. But shortly after he went back to normal and is now basking, but is still refusing to eat. Any ideas on what these behaviors could be indicating?

Please fill out the how to ask for help form. We will need this information to offer an educated guess if there are any issues.

Most of what you describe sounds like normal behavior for a chameleon, especially one getting used to a new setting. However, the presence of a cough-like sound in combination with lack of appetite could be a respiratory infection, but we need you to fill out the form in order to assess if that is likely or not.

Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, 1 year 4 months old, male, had him for 1 week.
Handling -I handle him 1 time a day, he doesnt seem to mind.
Feeding - He gets crickets and superworms which are both gutloaded, feeding is one of my issues so no recorded diet yet.
Supplements - Dusting schedule is calcium(zoo med repticalcium) every feeding session and once a week on vitamin supplement(zoo med reptivite)
Watering - I mist the cage 3-4 times a day and also use a dripper twice a day. Both times the dripper comes on I watch him drink for an extended period of time.
Fecal Description - Brown w/ the white tag. Never been tested for parasites under my care, but came from a trust-able source.
History - nah

Cage Info:
Cage Type - reptribreeze 18x18x36 (screen cage)
Lighting - Powersun 100w, 100w zilla night time bulb.
Temperature - basking temp 85, lower cage around 70, night time temps around 65.
Humidity - 2 plants for humidity, 3-4 misting sessions a day.
Plants - I am using two live plants, both of which are safe and have never given me problems in the past.
Placement - The cage is catycorner to a window, so it recieves proper ventilation. It is approximately raised 4 feet.
Location -Souther california.

Back
Top Bottom