easiest feeder to breed

jcal

from my limited research it looks like its roaches but is there anything just as easy or easier?
also when othello (male veiled) gets bigger can they eat house geckos/anoles? i saw a site selling those for feeders but i wasn't sure that would be a good idea.

The easiest is fruit flies but are only good for young ones. Dubia roaches pretty much breed themselves if you keep them fed and clean.

I just started breeding indian walking sticks and they are just as or easier than my dubia colony. They feed off bramble (blackberry/raspberry leaves), privet (not good for gutload), rose leaves and romaine (romaine will keep them alive but they wont thrive off of it) all they require is a tall container with some sticks init at room temp and misted everyday or so. Once they hit adult maturity they lay a few eggs everyday until they die. the eggs can just be left in the container until they hatch. (they are all female and don't need a male to fertilize the eggs, basically clones of themselves)

thanks mike. ive been trying to talk my gf into roaches but its not happening. and to be honest i wouldn't want a colony in my house either.

walking sticks seems like a good alternative. where would i get those? my little guy is only a few months but i guess he could still eat the baby sticks.

where do you live? I found some at a small local exotic pet shop for about $6 each which is expensive as a feeder but cheap once your colony is established. I believe they are not legal to keep in Canada but not sure about else where. precautions need to be made when getting rid of their waste (I keep paper towel on the bottom for easy cleanup and then seperate the eggs and burn the papertowel) so that they don't get into the environment here because they are not native and could potentially be an invasive species.

thanks mike. ive been trying to talk my gf into roaches but its not happening. and to be honest i wouldn't want a colony in my house either.

walking sticks seems like a good alternative. where would i get those? my little guy is only a few months but i guess he could still eat the baby sticks.

I live in Florida and no one will ship roaches to Florida so I too would be very intersted in where one might be able to get some walking sticks. I am apperhensive about trying to feed my little ones wild roaches or wild bugs due to Pesticides.

mike,
i live in southern california. i also have been reading about certain walking sticks being toxic but i dont think the indian's fall into that group. are the walking sticks soft bodied and safe to feed everyday. sorry for shooting all of these questions at you.

from what I understand they are a decent staple feeder but like any feeder it is best to give variety as they all contain different nutrients. I am still waiting for my colony to start producing before I feed any off so I really hope my cham likes them, I guess if she doesnt I have some new pets lol.

I just started breeding indian walking sticks and they are just as or easier than my dubia colony. They feed off bramble (blackberry/raspberry leaves), privet (not good for gutload), rose leaves and romaine (romaine will keep them alive but they wont thrive off of it) all they require is a tall container with some sticks init at room temp and misted everyday or so. Once they hit adult maturity they lay a few eggs everyday until they die. the eggs can just be left in the container until they hatch. (they are all female and don't need a male to fertilize the eggs, basically clones of themselves)

I am glad I found this. My friend recently found an Indian walking stick and is trying to raise it. Hopefully they can survive off of just rose leaves, not sure where I would find the rest.

I am glad I found this. My friend recently found an Indian walking stick and is trying to raise it. Hopefully they can survive off of just rose leaves, not sure where I would find the rest.

when i was researching the Indian walking stick i found tons of info about how they were released in san diego and is now becoming a pest. you should have an endless supply there.

Crickets are pretty easy to breed. There is a little labor involved and you have to keep on a schedule to always have them. Once you have it down its pretty easy. Ive been breeding them for the past 4-5 months and Im kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Technically, any walking stick that isn't native to tuhe US is illegal to own. Lots of people do own them though.

Everyone got all on my case when I posted some pictures of some that I fed off. They're just looking out for me though. :)

I dont like breeding crickets. They stink, and they die, and you need like 8 bins if you want to keep the sizes separate.

Technically, any walking stick that isn't native to tuhe US is illegal to own. Lots of people do own them though.

Everyone got all on my case when I posted some pictures of some that I fed off. They're just looking out for me though. :)

I dont like breeding crickets. They stink, and they die, and you need like 8 bins if you want to keep the sizes separate.

I actually found a pdf of a lot of stick insect species and what they have been known to eat. If anyone here wants it they can send me a pm with their email and i will send it over to you :). The are all named using their scientific names so you will probably have to look up the scientific name of the species you have or are going to get and then find it in the list.

I live in Florida and no one will ship roaches to Florida so I too would be very intersted in where one might be able to get some walking sticks. I am apperhensive about trying to feed my little ones wild roaches or wild bugs due to Pesticides.
I only live to about 30 min south of you and i have a colony of dubias because I know a local breeder that supplied me with the ones I have. If you're interested in getting some I could hook you up him

Go collect some roaches from the woods preferably away from houses and what not. Let them breed, the feed off the babies.

Or better yet, just buy some that are legal to have in Florida. I know discoids and Surinam roaches are legal. There are a few more that are available too. I believe a man named Kyle on faunaclassifieds has all sorts that he can sell you. I can't remember his screen name, but he has as ad in the feeder section.

What is the fine for having dubias in Florida anyways.. I'm not going to get rid of mine but I would still like to know

I believe it's technically illegal to keep (or maybe it was ship) dubia roaches anyways. It's just one of those things that aren't really enforced I guess.

I'm not really sure what the rules are, just know that you are not supposed to have them.. I probably have about 500 or more in my colony. Just wanted to know what the fine was for having them if I got caught. Don't think I ever will though. Maybe Ill make my own post and ask the question

Back
Top Bottom