Early warning signs?

Tinydino

Avid Member
What are some early warning signs to watch for when it comes to more common illness or health issues?
Are there certain behaviours?
Things that a newbie wouldn't recognize as something to watch for?

Kinda a random question that popped into my head as I'm having a day of slightly high humidity (60% It rained last night, the heat isn't on yet in the house.) I know that humidity is important so I worry.

Is itchiness a sign of something wrong if its not time to shed?
My girl seems to have itchy feet a lot. Sometimes she scratches at her head with her back foot. (I've seen it 3 times in the last couple days.. definitely new behaviour)

Picture is of my girl Vada from a few days ago. The reason for my constant worry.

Attachments

• 20201110_152120.jpg
    20201110_152120.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20201108_151236.jpg
    20201108_151236.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 85
I’ll let others chime in, but I’m not sure it’s anything to worry about now.
Is there other things I should watch for? She may as well be an alien.
I'm not " brand new" but I
Still feel like I don't know anything.
I was given a Cham a couple years ago. She had severe MBD. I knew nothing and had a crash course. I rehabbed her.(hospital bin, syringe feeding and so on) But 6 months later she didnt eat one day and died the next.
I never experienced normal Cham behaviour. I don't want to rush to the vet for every little thing. Maybe I'm a little shell shocked.

Is there other things I should watch for? She may as well be an alien.
I'm not " brand new" but I
Still feel like I don't know anything.
I was given a Cham a couple years ago. She had severe MBD. I knew nothing and had a crash course. I rehabbed her.(hospital bin, syringe feeding and so on) But 6 months later she didnt eat one day and died the next.
I never experienced normal Cham behaviour. I don't want to rush to the vet for every little thing. Maybe I'm a little shell shocked.
This happens to all of us. The best advice I can give is to spend a lot of time watching your Cham (obviously don’t put your face right up to her cage) from across the room. Get an idea of how she spends her day, her favourite haunts, when she basks, where she likes to sleep, how many bugs she typically eats immediately, and how many she leaves. You should be able to predict several minutes before she poops. That was always my comfort zone: if I am in tune enough with my Cham, that I can tell they’re about to poop several minutes before, and where they’ll inevitably travel over the next couple minutes, I feel like I have a good grasp of how they be rollin’. Once you have this down, sudden changes in behavior are obvious.

What are some early warning signs to watch for when it comes to more common illness or health issues?
Are there certain behaviours?
Things that a newbie wouldn't recognize as something to watch for?

Kinda a random question that popped into my head as I'm having a day of slightly high humidity (60% It rained last night, the heat isn't on yet in the house.) I know that humidity is important so I worry.

Is itchiness a sign of something wrong if its not time to shed?
My girl seems to have itchy feet a lot. Sometimes she scratches at her head with her back foot. (I've seen it 3 times in the last couple days.. definitely new behaviour)

Picture is of my girl Vada from a few days ago. The reason for my constant worry.
I think these two links are helpful when your new. They give you a great over view of what is normal and what is not.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-behavior/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-medical-basics/

I am not a huge fan of the black exo terra vines because they do not always dry out all the way and pieces peal off of them. May be why her feet are bothering her?

Have you gotten your husbandry reviewed? Knowing that you have all things done correctly for your chameleon lowers the chance for something to happen.
Lighting, temps, diet have been gone over in other threads.
But I can go over again.
I'm not actually worried that something is up right now.
Bit I worry that something will be wrong and I won't know in time to fix it..
I guess I'm a bit of a helicopter mom

I think these two links are helpful when your new. They give you a great over view of what is normal and what is not.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-behavior/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-medical-basics/

I am not a huge fan of the black exo terra vines because they do not always dry out all the way and pieces peal off of them. May be why her feet are bothering her?
I think she might not like those vines either.. she uses them as her roadway. But rests on the grapevine while caskimg and to sleep at night.
Thank you for the links. I will be reading them tonight when I finsih up work

Lighting, temps, diet have been gone over in other threads.
But I can go over again.
I'm not actually worried that something is up right now.
Bit I worry that something will be wrong and I won't know in time to fix it..
I guess I'm a bit of a helicopter mom
If you have gotten your entire husbandry reviewed, and everything has been fixed then that is good. Unfortunately, I am not experienced in Chameleon health. But there are alot of people on here that can help! ???

If you have gotten your entire husbandry reviewed, and everything has been fixed then that is good. Unfortunately, I am not experienced in Chameleon health. But there are alot of people on here that can help! ???
Its been more bits a pieces of review.
She was trying to scare me last week with her dirt eating during her morning routine. She has since quit that. But then of course changed when she poops. So I missed the monday at noon deadline to take in her fecal to the vet.
(Will try again this coming week. Ugh)
she has given up being a picky eater too and will now eat whatever is offered.. not just crickets!! Yay.

Sometimes I swear they entertain themselves by doing something different just to make us worry. ? If you’d like a complete review, here you go. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
  • Veiled Chameleon. Female. 16 weeks old

• How long has it been in your care?
  • 7 weeks
  • When she feels like it. She is very chill. But only wants to climb onto my hand a couple times a week at most.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Up until 2 weeks ago she would only eat crickets. Now she likes everything.
  • Daily she gets 2 supers and all she can eat crickets between 8am-1pm. (She averages about 7 large crickets. Give or take on or 2
  • Today she had 2 smallish silk worms instead of supers.
  • Yesterday a hornworm added to the daily
  • Gutload with carrots and alfalfa pellets mostly. Today the crickets got some apple along with hibiscus flower.
  • Supers have oats and carrot

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Repticalcium without D3 on all her crickets daily.
  • Reptivite with d3 every other Monday
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • We are on a well. The water is good to drink but its hard. So she gets filtered well water (brita)
  • I mist by hand morning (30 mins before lights on) and night (just after lights off.
  • I hated the dripper. So I freeze the britta water into icecubes to set up top. I have only caught her drinking once.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Dark brown with white urates(i watch this like crazy since I never see her drink)
  • She has not been tested for parasites. Planned to have it done on monday but she decided not to poop at her usual time so I missed the deadline to have it shipped to the lab. Will try again this monday

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • She came directly from a breeder.
  • No pet stores or previous owners.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • She recently moved from a exoterra screen(18x18x24) to a custom cabinet (26×20×40) screen doors and (cut out windows on the sides. Hardware wire mesh top.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?
  • T5ho reptisun 24" fixture 10.0 22" tube. Phillips br30 75watt plant light for basking.
  • What is your daily lighting schedule? 7am-7pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Today temps were 86°f at the hottest basking spot. Lowest temp at the floor was 68°f
  • The heat in the house is on now. Thermostat is set to 70°
  • I use a laser temp gun to monitor temps
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Humidity today sat at 60% normally its at 50%
  • I have a stupid gauge. (But it is new and seems to be working) But the digital one hasnt shown up in the mail yet.
  • Night time humidity never seems to go higher than 75-80% no mater how much I mist.
  • All live plants.. she had fake ivy for less than 24 hours and tried to eat it. It hit the garbage..Hibiscus(she only eats the hibiscus)umbrella plant, moneytree, pothos, coleous, peperomia, spiderplant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • In my sitting room/craft room with lots of natural light from a west facing window. Low traffic,for the most part its just me sitting in here with my spinning wheel and tea. Height of her cabinet is 62"
  • I added a small fan near by to help with humidity today. It brought it dow 5% in under 2 hours
  • Southwestern Ontario Canada

No major problems.(i dont think)I'm just a worrier
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  3. Thought I had another picture bit cant find it at the moment.

Attachments

• 20201105_154658.jpg
    20201105_154658.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 59
Sometimes I swear they entertain themselves by doing something different just to make us worry. ? If you’d like a complete review, here you go. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

--------------

Please Note:
Filling that out took much longer than I thought it would!! Lol

Putting feedback in red.
Chameleon Info:
  • Veiled Chameleon. Female. 16 weeks old :)
  • 7 weeks
  • When she feels like it. She is very chill. But only wants to climb onto my hand a couple times a week at most. :)
  • Daily she gets 2 supers and all she can eat crickets between 8am-1pm. (She averages about 7 large crickets. Give or take on or 2 :)
  • Gutload with carrots and alfalfa pellets mostly. Today the crickets got some apple along with hibiscus flower.
  • Attaching the gutload sheet. It’s not really gutloading as much as it is keeping your bugs healthy, so that they will be more nutritious. Try adding a bit of bee pollen if possible.
  • Repticalcium without D3 on all her crickets daily. :)
  • Reptivite with d3 every other Monday :)
  • We are on a well. The water is good to drink but its hard. So she gets filtered well water (brita)
  • I mist by hand morning (30 mins before lights on) and night (just after lights off. Misting for just 2 minutes or so would be just as effective instead of for 30 minutes.
  • I hated the dripper. So I freeze the britta water into icecubes to set up top. I have only caught her drinking once. I hate drippers too...so hard to regulate. Instead of ice cubes though, you could try just poking a small hole with a tack in the bottom of a cup.
  • Dark brown with white urates(i watch this like crazy since I never see her drink)
  • She has not been tested for parasites. Planned to have it done on monday but she decided not to poop at her usual time so I missed the deadline to have it shipped to the lab. Will try again this monday Better pencil it into her calendar so she doesn’t forget. ;)

• She came directly from a breeder. :)

Cage Info:
  • She recently moved from a exoterra screen(18x18x24) to a custom cabinet (26×20×40) screen doors and (cut out windows on the sides. Hardware wire mesh top. :)
  • T5ho reptisun 24" fixture 10.0 22" tube. Phillips br30 75watt plant light for basking. How far from her basking area is the uvb? With a 10.0 you’ll want it to be around 12” away for correct uvb levels.
  • What is your daily lighting schedule? 7am-7pm :)
  • Today temps were 86°f at the hottest basking spot. This is a bit high for both a young cham and a female. I keep mine at around 80. Lowest temp at the floor was 68°f :)
  • I use a laser temp gun to monitor temps These can only measure surface temps. You’ll want to get a digital thermometer with a probe for a more accurate reading.
  • Humidity today sat at 60% normally its at 50% You’re at the very high end. Ideally you want it between 30-50% during the day. Perhaps reducing your misting time will help reduce your humidity.
  • I have a stupid gauge. (But it is new and seems to be working) But the digital one hasnt shown up in the mail yet. :)
  • Night time humidity never seems to go higher than 75-80% no mater how much I mist. That’s fine. You could run a cool mist humidifier for a few hours at night to get higher humidity.
  • All live plants.. she had fake ivy for less than 24 hours and tried to eat it. It hit the garbage..Hibiscus(she only eats the hibiscus)umbrella plant, moneytree, pothos, coleous, peperomia, spiderplant I’m not sure if coleus is safe or not. The others are.
  • In my sitting room/craft room with lots of natural light from a west facing window. Low traffic,for the most part its just me sitting in here with my spinning wheel and tea. You spin? Super cool! Height of her cabinet is 62"
  • I added a small fan near by to help with humidity today. It brought it dow 5% in under 2 hours :) Great! It isn’t just the humidity that can create problems as much as it’s humidity and stagnant or poorly circulated air.

Except for the few small changes, everything looks great!
As your sweet girl starts nearing around 5-6 months you’ll be needing to provide her with a lay bin. It’s usually easiest to just keep it as a permanent part of her enclosure. It’s basically a bin around 10x10x10” filled to around 6-8” deep with either moist play sand or a mix of play sand and potting soil (not coco coir!). It needs to be kept moist enough that she can dig a tunnel without it collapsing. You’ll probably want to drill a few small drainage holes in the bottom and if inclined, you could put a plant in the corner of the bin. They like to lay against things like plant roots.
Since laying really takes a lot out of our ladies and shortens their lives, we try to reduce the number of eggs they produce and also the frequency they lay. As your girl starts reaching around 6 months, start reducing her feeders to 3-4 daily and then after a bit further reduce to every other day. After her first laying, feed her well for a couple of days and then you could further reduce feeding to 3 feeders 3 days a week. This is why we keep the temps lower for the girl’s than the boys too...keeps their metabolism a bit slower so they don’t get as hungry. This is what I do for my 2 girls and so far this year, they’ve each laid only once and that was back in Feb & March. I do give occasional treats or an extra feeder every now and then. Here’s a great article that helps explain it. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

--------------
657A986A-51B3-4C5A-8056-AD3137E02917.jpeg

Putting feedback in red.
Chameleon Info:
  • Veiled Chameleon. Female. 16 weeks old :)
  • 7 weeks
  • When she feels like it. She is very chill. But only wants to climb onto my hand a couple times a week at most. :)
  • Daily she gets 2 supers and all she can eat crickets between 8am-1pm. (She averages about 7 large crickets. Give or take on or 2 :)
  • Attaching the gutload sheet. It’s not really gutloading as much as it is keeping your bugs healthy, so that they will be more nutritious. Try adding a bit of bee pollen if possible.
  • Repticalcium without D3 on all her crickets daily. :)
  • Reptivite with d3 every other Monday :)
  • I mist by hand morning (30 mins before lights on) and night (just after lights off. Misting for just 2 minutes or so would be just as effective instead of for 30 minutes.
  • I hated the dripper. So I freeze the britta water into icecubes to set up top. I have only caught her drinking once. I hate drippers too...so hard to regulate. Instead of ice cubes though, you could try just poking a small hole with a tack in the bottom of a cup.
  • She has not been tested for parasites. Planned to have it done on monday but she decided not to poop at her usual time so I missed the deadline to have it shipped to the lab. Will try again this monday Better pencil it into her calendar so she doesn’t forget. ;)

• She came directly from a breeder. :)

Cage Info:
  • She recently moved from a exoterra screen(18x18x24) to a custom cabinet (26×20×40) screen doors and (cut out windows on the sides. Hardware wire mesh top. :)
  • T5ho reptisun 24" fixture 10.0 22" tube. Phillips br30 75watt plant light for basking. How far from her basking area is the uvb? With a 10.0 you’ll want it to be around 12” away for correct uvb levels.
  • What is your daily lighting schedule? 7am-7pm :)
  • Today temps were 86°f at the hottest basking spot. This is a bit high for both a young cham and a female. I keep mine at around 80. Lowest temp at the floor was 68°f :)
  • I use a laser temp gun to monitor temps These can only measure surface temps. You’ll want to get a digital thermometer with a probe for a more accurate reading.
  • Humidity today sat at 60% normally its at 50% You’re at the very high end. Ideally you want it between 30-50% during the day. Perhaps reducing your misting time will help reduce your humidity.
  • I have a stupid gauge. (But it is new and seems to be working) But the digital one hasnt shown up in the mail yet. :)
  • Night time humidity never seems to go higher than 75-80% no mater how much I mist. That’s fine. You could run a cool mist humidifier for a few hours at night to get higher humidity.
  • All live plants.. she had fake ivy for less than 24 hours and tried to eat it. It hit the garbage..Hibiscus(she only eats the hibiscus)umbrella plant, moneytree, pothos, coleous, peperomia, spiderplant I’m not sure if coleus is safe or not. The others are.
  • In my sitting room/craft room with lots of natural light from a west facing window. Low traffic,for the most part its just me sitting in here with my spinning wheel and tea. You spin? Super cool! Height of her cabinet is 62"
  • I added a small fan near by to help with humidity today. It brought it dow 5% in under 2 hours :) Great! It isn’t just the humidity that can create problems as much as it’s humidity and stagnant or poorly circulated air.

Except for the few small changes, everything looks great!
As your sweet girl starts nearing around 5-6 months you’ll be needing to provide her with a lay bin. It’s usually easiest to just keep it as a permanent part of her enclosure. It’s basically a bin around 10x10x10” filled to around 6-8” deep with either moist play sand or a mix of play sand and potting soil (not coco coir!). It needs to be kept moist enough that she can dig a tunnel without it collapsing. You’ll probably want to drill a few small drainage holes in the bottom and if inclined, you could put a plant in the corner of the bin. They like to lay against things like plant roots.
Since laying really takes a lot out of our ladies and shortens their lives, we try to reduce the number of eggs they produce and also the frequency they lay. As your girl starts reaching around 6 months, start reducing her feeders to 3-4 daily and then after a bit further reduce to every other day. After her first laying, feed her well for a couple of days and then you could further reduce feeding to 3 feeders 3 days a week. This is why we keep the temps lower for the girl’s than the boys too...keeps their metabolism a bit slower so they don’t get as hungry. This is what I do for my 2 girls and so far this year, they’ve each laid only once and that was back in Feb & March. I do give occasional treats or an extra feeder every now and then. Here’s a great article that helps explain it. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

--------------
View attachment 282313
Thank you.
I do only hand mist for about a minute. I mist until everything is dripping(minus where Vada is sleeping) i just do it 30 mins prior lights on.
She does have a laybin already. Its 12"×8"×8". Its playsand and plain organic potting soil. It has a Pothos near the front for added privacy.
Her favorite basking spot sits around 83. She rarely goes to the hottest spot.
I will try raising her basking light tomorrow.
Her closest branch to the UVB light is 11" the rest are below that at various heights. She's only gone to her shady spot to sit once that Ive seen.
Humidity will.drop overall in the house soon as winter sets in. Its always higher in the house during the in between weather. Not warm enough to open the windows. Not cold enough to turn on the heat. Ugh.
I will order a digital thermometer with Probe is there a brand that is better than others?
I do spin. I even keep sheep and angora rabbits. Fiber pets for the win.

Thank you.
I do only hand mist for about a minute. I mist until everything is dripping(minus where Vada is sleeping) i just do it 30 mins prior lights on.
She does have a laybin already. Its 12"×8"×8". Its playsand and plain organic potting soil. It has a Pothos near the front for added privacy.
Her favorite basking spot sits around 83. She rarely goes to the hottest spot.
I will try raising her basking light tomorrow.
Her closest branch to the UVB light is 11" the rest are below that at various heights. She's only gone to her shady spot to sit once that Ive seen.
Humidity will.drop overall in the house soon as winter sets in. Its always higher in the house during the in between weather. Not warm enough to open the windows. Not cold enough to turn on the heat. Ugh.
I will order a digital thermometer with Probe is there a brand that is better than others?
I do spin. I even keep sheep and angora rabbits. Fiber pets for the win.
Sounds like you’ve got it all together! You should have nothing to worry about. :) However, I totally get it! When we love our critters, we always worry about them taking ill. Since they can’t tell us when they are sick, we just have to stay alert for changes from their norms. Just an FYI...around 5-6+ months your little girl is going to start showing her pretty colors and patterns and will be restless. I have one that climbs up & down her screen all day and the other endlessly circles her entire enclosure. This is the receptive period when they are looking for a mate. It lasts anywhere from a week to a few weeks and is a precursor to becoming gravid. However, my girls have now had 2 receptive cycles each since laying and haven’t laid. Both are healthy so my efforts to reduce their laying are obviously working.
Aww...I love sheep and fluffy bunnies. If you want a real challenge for spinning, try breeding some silkworms.?

Back
Top Bottom