Dwarf jacksons

cuso

I just got two dwarf jacksons (male and female)and at first they were in the same habitat and they never really bothered each other I split them up to be safe but the person that I got them from says that they can live together just fine. Does any one know if this is true

I just got two dwarf jacksons (male and female)and at first they were in the same habitat and they never really bothered each other I split them up to be safe but the person that I got them from says that they can live together just fine. Does any one know if this is true

They can live together but your male will be sooner or later impotent. People who tell that merumontanus can live together normally have experience with them for less than an half year and they were not even close to breed them...
If it's so easy to keep them why is nobody over there able to breed them ? Every year douzens (or maybe even over hundret) merumontanus were imported and nobody gets some juveniles

Depends on a lot:

How old are they?
How big is your cage?
Will they have duplicate basking spots? Hide areas? Lots of cover? Multiple food bins?
Who told you this...a successful long term breeder or a commercial dealer?

Keeping them together will stress one or both of them. The less dominant cham will eventually get stressed to the point of being sick. The male will constantly try to breed even if the female is not receptive. They could actually injure each other. In the wild they would not normally share a space as small as the typical cage. It is much safer and more humane to keep them separated.

Depends on a lot:

How old are they?
How big is your cage?
Will they have duplicate basking spots? Hide areas? Lots of cover? Multiple food bins?
Who told you this...a successful long term breeder or a commercial dealer?

Keeping them together will stress one or both of them. The less dominant cham will eventually get stressed to the point of being sick. The male will constantly try to breed even if the female is not receptive. They could actually injure each other. In the wild they would not normally share a space as small as the typical cage. It is much safer and more humane to keep them separated.

Carlton, you are completely right with the stress, but the male will one day stop do have any interest in females

I'm guessing there still very young the largest one I have is about two inches with out the tale. And the amount of crickets they eat tells me the still young. There cage is two and a half foot tall foot half wide and deep there's a lot of places to hide and only one basking spot. I cup feed them in one area. They never seem to fight or any thing but I'm guessing there still young

I'm guessing there still very young the largest one I have is about two inches with out the tale. And the amount of crickets they eat tells me the still young. There cage is two and a half foot tall foot half wide and deep there's a lot of places to hide and only one basking spot. I cup feed them in one area. They never seem to fight or any thing but I'm guessing there still young

That cage won't be nearly big enough for two. They may not actively fight each other, but they will stress each other a lot. Separate them before one starts going downhill.

I kind've have the same issue... except I have Veilds.... but anyways.. I bought them from a lady that worked at a local pet shop... Not the petshop but her chameleons. Anyways she kept them in the same cage she told me they are aroudn a year.... They never fight or hiss or hardly go by each other unless sleeping, they will normally curl up by each other. Either way I will seperate them as soon as my other cage comes in. For one.... the cage I bought that was hers.... is to small for one... let alone two. 24"18"23.
Two... My male stays a brownish color during the day.... so I am thinking maybe he is stressing out and I would much rather house them in seperate cages than watch one of my Chams get sick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom