dwarf jackson merumontanus...help on temps please!!!!

cacoonkitty

hi guys,
can anyone tell me if im doing anything wrong?? i will ask the breeder as well but just to see if im doing it right....i am getting my pair of dwarf jacksons today, 1 year old captive breds ,they have seperate vivs so as not to cause stress each have a 3 foot high by 2 foot deep and 2 foot wide ebclosure,so they are quite big and will have lots of climbing branches to move around there home and a live re-potted,washed ficus tree in each enclosure for cover and to help with humididty, they also have a 40w basking bulb in one corner and a external humidifier plumed in on the cooler side of there vivs on a timee so it comes on for 15 mins every 2 hours and the day time ambient air temps are reading 70.1-70.9F .....is this to hot?? i am worried as i havent been able to find anymore info stating there desired and the stuff i have found has varied in opinion on temps, i have been told by someone elso that they keep theres at room temp of 70-72 Fday with a good night time drop to the 50sF which is fine as my flat gets pretty cool at night,i live in the u.k and so they are in a wooden sided viv with a glass sliding door at the front and 2 big vents at the back and 2 smalish ones at the sides for ventilation. i will be feeding calcium dusted insects every 2 days and will mist heavily 2 times a day in the morning and evening,i have provide a quite area for them so it wont be disturbed by loud noises or passing people and i dont smoke so air is clean. any more tips guys ..info needed!!!!!!! thanks, x katt:D.

Merus ...

Don't be selfish ... LET'S SEE SOME PICTURES! (Sorry for yelling)

Ambient in the low 70's is fine. Night-time drop need not be as low as the 50s but shouldn't hurt them. (they do love a cool sleep)

What is the humidity level? If you don't have a Hydrometer, you should get one.

I live in Canada (it gets REALLY cold here) and use screen mesh for optimum ventilation. Merus love and need HIGH humidity, but can't tolerate stagnant air (leads to bacterial growth and a high risk of respiratory infection) Make sure the vents allow plenty of air flow or consider different lodgings.

Do you have a dripper to provide water when you are not around?

How warm is the basking area?

Even though they will be housed separately make sure they can't SEE each other (they've got super sharp eyesight!)

You will also need calcium with D3 (a feeder-dusting every few weeks) and a supplement dust with vitamins including some form of A (use the search feature to find out why) also once every few weeks.

I'm excited for you! Please post picks as soon as possible!

Enjoy the learning curve.

I JUST GOT THEM BACK ,THEY ARE SETTLING IN THERE MUCH NICER VIVS FRO THE OLD ONES THEY LIVED IN(IF I DO DARE SAY!!)AND THEY ARE LOOOOOOVELY THE COLOURS HAVE COME RIGHT UP AND THEY ARE ROUTING AROUND EXPLORING THERE NEW HOMES!! I WILL POST SOME PICS SOON...HAVE TO WORK OUT HOW FIRST !! THEY CANT SEE EACH OTHER, NO, AND I DO HAVE A DRIPPER AND WILL HEAVILY MIST A FEW TIMES ADAY AS WELL AS USE THE HUMIDIFIER ON A TIMER AS THE DEW DROPPLETS FORM NICLY ON THE PLANTS LEAVES WITH USE OF THIS, I WASNT EXPECTING THEM TO BE SO SMALL AND FRAGILE BUT THEY ARE A YEAR OLD SO JUST A LITTLE MORE GROWING TO GO, THE HUMIDITY LEVELS I HAVE GOT ARE READING 78% AT THE MO BUT I CAN CHANGE THIS BY PUTTING MORE MIST INSIDE THERE VIVS, I DO HAVE A VERY BIG SET OF VENTS ON ALL THE SIDES OF BOTH THERE VIVS AND I WILL BE DUSTING THERE FOOD WITH SUPPLEMENT EVERY WEEK OR SO AND GUT LOADING THERE FEEDERS.THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!..ANY MORE IS WELCOME GUYS!:p

Back
Top Bottom