Dwarf Chameleon Acting Drunk

gentlejamo

I have a Dwarf Chameleon (Rhampholeon brevicaudatus), and have had him for about six months
As funny as it sounds, he is acting drunk. well he was earlier.
I never really handle him much, and decided to take him out to change the substrate in his tank.
He climbed onto my hand and I transferred him into a bowl with some dirt in it while i cleaned his home. But as I put him down into the bowl he sort of lost his footing and fell over. I helped him up and he has just been wandering around looking...well...drunk. I am really worried. Should I be?

He is back in his original enclosure now and just sort of sitting. He did the whole drunk routine before when i first got him six months back. It was just for like one night I think. I just misted him and went to sleep, intending to call my friend in the morning, but Olaf (my cham) was fine. So I did not call.

He ate a cricket yesterday and would not eat one earlier today when I tried to give him one. I can usually hold it in front of him and he will just grab it.I am not exactly sure how much he is drinking (not pun intended).

Thoughts anyone? Does anyone keep these small interesting little creatures and have you encountered this?

Maybe he was going through the beginning stages of playing dead. These little chameleons will play dead if they feel threatened or are startled. I have known people who disposed of the body only to find that when they looked for it later it was gone.

That is actually kind of funny. Ha.
I think what it is, is just old age. They typically only live a couple years and I have had mine for six months, and who knows how long it was alive before I got it?

But yeah I got an electrolyte supplement to mist in his water, hopefully that boosts the little guy.

Pygmie chams are definitely not known for their sure footing. They don't seem to move as confidently as other species of chameleons and their grip isn't as strong. These tiny guys aren't fast movers. Putting them on a surface with absolutely nothing to grip onto (such as a bowl) is sure to make them feel a little panicky. If he is moving about fine now, I wouldn't worry about him.

thanks for that link. yeah he seems to be moving around fine now. just has not eaten yet today, but that happens. thanks again for the help guys.

its cool to know that they have defense systems like that.

Back
Top Bottom