Dumb question because I'm curious

Magnus2502

So my lil veiled Zoe has been sitting around lately with her mouth open, and I know with beardies they do it as a basking thing... So is it kinda the same deal or is there an underlying reason that I need to be aware of?

Could be a few things. Please fill all of this out so we can help.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

How old is she? Is she wheezing? What's the basking temperature? Does she do it when she isn't basking?

Chameleon Info:
* Your Chameleon - 4-5 month old female veiled
* Handling - 2-3 times a week mostly during cage cleanings
* Feeding - Moslty small crickets maybe 10- 12 a day.. Picked up some roaches for the first time yesterday she don't seem to care for them but has eaten about a dozen small ones
* Supplements - Reptocal dusting 4 days a week and rep-cal with d3 every couple weeks.. REPASHY superload which contains some calcium and d3 for my gut load
* Watering - She drinks, i use a fogger 3 or 4 times a day with occasional mistings from a hand sprayer, as well as a dripper
* Fecal Description - Mostly half white half dark and has not been tested
* History - Still a new owner but not new to reptiles, she see,s to be doin very well. Had her first shed in my care bout a week and a half ago with absolutely no issues.

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - Half screen half glass and is a 2x2x3 until she gets a little bigger
* Lighting - UVB bar I can't remember the brand and small heat lamp... Temp stays around 75 - 85 during the day and lights off At night temp stays high 60's low 70's

* Humidity - stays between 60 and 70 percent, my fogger can get it up to 80 or 90 percent but for only a short time
* Plants - some artificial vines with a real hibiscus
* Placement - Bout six feet off the floor in low traffic Area not around any vents. Do have a fan in the room but not a ceiling fan is a floor fan not directed anywhere near the cage
* Location - wichita, ks

Current Problem - been sitting with her mouth open... Just wanna make sure it's not a problem

85 is not all that high to cause gaping. What do you measure your temps with and what wattage bulb are you using?

It may reach 90 under direct light.. Using a dual non digital gave for heat and humidity... UVB bulb is 15 watt and heat bulb is 50 watt

I turned my heat lamp off and she stopped doin it so maybe she was just a little hot... Think I need to elevate the light some more.. But if anybody else sees some concerns from my care sheet please let me know.. Thanx you guys rock...

If you are using a gauge thermometer, they are known to be extremely inaccurate. You need to get a digital thermometer.

What level of UVB is your UVB light putting out? For some reason I think that 15 watts is a small number for a 5.0 uvb light though I could be wrong. I use reptisun UVB and have never used another kind, so I know that they are 26 watts when they are compact and 5.0 and when they are long they usually are around 24 or more? Though I could be wrong XD just want to make sure you are using the right UVB for your little one ^^ also if you put in some shaded spots down lower with vines that she can walk on it'll be easier for her to get out of the high temp area

Please forgive me but I can't remember what the UVB rating is, the bulb says UVA and UV 8 so maybe a rating of 8... And as for the temp gage I've heard arguments on both ends for digital and non but thinking about using both to compare for myself... But have looked into both and will take any recommendations for a good digital brand

Some people say it's ok to go with 10.0 uvb rating some people say only go with 5.0, 8 seems to be a strange number for it to sit at... I'm one of those people who say don't go any higher than 5.0. But then again my boy gets plenty of natural sunlight and dustings.... The reason supposedly not to is because of the phosphorus levels in the 10.0 bulbs that are emitted are too high for chams.

Also are you using any type of multivitamins?

Yes twice a month as well just can't remember the brand of the to of my head.. I will call the store I purchased the light from tomorrow or go up there to verify the rating...

Back
Top Bottom