Dubias loose in Yato's Enclosure

BugzNelson

Hello! I'm looking for a way to capture loose dubias in my enclosure without endangering my chameleon Yato. Please let me know if you have any recommendations.

I used to feed Yato dubias by placing them in a bowl. However, I once watched a dubia escape, and so I now only handfeed dubias. It has been over a year since I used the bowl method, and I've captured several dubias by hand in that time. I've also thoroughly clean the enclosure specifically looking for lurking dubias. I thought there were none left, but today I found a full grown female dubia just walking along a branch like nobody's business.

I'm now concerned that there are other dubias hidden somewhere in the enclosure and are potentially breeding. Yato's enclosure is customized and well decorated. The walls are all stone and cement with built in pots for plants. My hunch is that the dubias are hiding in small crevasses in the cement around the pots. However, these areas are SO small, I cannot reach them to investigate without destroying the walls of the enclosure.

My current thought is to make a trap with something very sticky and cover it so Yato can't touch it but allow a small opening where the dubias could get in. Any thoughts?

Probably do like a small box with a sticky trap inside, and cut a small hole to where dubias can get in. But I would just put that box trap in at night when the chameleon is asleep just to avoid harming the cham as much as possible and take it out in the morning. And I think that is when the dubias are most active too.

Probably do like a small box with a sticky trap inside, and cut a small hole to where dubias can get in. But I would just put that box trap in at night when the chameleon is asleep just to avoid harming the cham as much as possible and take it out in the morning. And I think that is when the dubias are most active too.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I'll try that and let you know how it goes

Back
Top Bottom