Dubia's Can Fly!!!!

kgallego

No joke. This just happened. All the lights were off, I heard something flying across my house, and "BAMMM!!!", a big male dubia smacks into my computer screen. He flew about 3-4 ft above the floor across my house about 30 ft.

I've read many arguments from people saying they can't fly. I just saw it happen. Scared the s**t out of me because I didn't know what it was until it smacked the screen and landed on the keyboard.

Time to seal up the top of the roach bin.

I should also note for those who say they have to have the optimal conditions:

My house is at 71 deg F. I'm in the desert where it's very dry. The heat pad under the roach bin has been off for weeks so I can slow my population.

They fly. It's not a myth. It's not a joke. If they want to, they can do it!

Ive never heard they can't :confused: Hmmmm, now I want to look into that myth. I know they aren't good climbers but…they do have wings so I figure they'd use them for something :D My colony have been perfect angels, no escapees here…or so I think. Great ones going to take me by surprise and Im going to have a heart attack :eek:

What are you feeding them lol. You got you some super dubias there but I do keep a top on mine ;)

Right now they're chowing on cheerios that went stale. They usually don't each cheerios.

THis is not news to me...

It's definitely news to me. I've had a colony for over a year and half now, and this is the first and only time I've seen this happen. I've seen them flutter and try to fly lots of times, but I've never seen them get some serious air until now.

They definitely can 'fly.' I don't think I've seen them ever really get much lift though, they can kind of maintain the height they are at.

they do have wings so I figure they'd use them for something

The males actually use the wings a lot for mating. When the male is looking for a female they raise them up perpendicular to their body to flag the female who then walks up to the male to attach.

They definitely can 'fly.' I don't think I've seen them ever really get much lift though, they can kind of maintain the height they are at.

Makes sense. He probably gained no more than 3 feet in vertical height, but traveled a solid 30 foot distance.

NO WAY am I going to tell my wife about this.

Back
Top Bottom