Dubia va crickets

I realllly like dubia over crickets but I’m not sure how to make them his primary. I still want to pass him crickets from time to time though.
He normally eats 6 large crickets every other day, how many dubia would I feed him?

Edit

He’s a 2 1/2 year old male panther

Last edited:
More variety is key. If you use dubia as a staple, be careful because too many can cause gout. Silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, other types of roaches (green banana, red runner, ivory headed, orange headed, etc.), superworms, snails, mantids, stick insects, BSFL and flies, blue bottle flies, painted lady butterflies, etc. are all great (superworms as occasional variety, not a staple).

Hmm good to know! I may switch to medium crickets as the large are..simply obnoxious. I’m thinking of trying 8 medium and then mixing up with dubia the next feeding then hornworm the next!

Hmm good to know! I may switch to medium crickets as the large are..simply obnoxious. I’m thinking of trying 8 medium and then mixing up with dubia the next feeding then hornworm the next!
I rotate mainly between roaches, crickets, and silkworms with BSFL, BSF, painted ladies, butterworms and hornworms, with the occasional superworm

Personally, I like orange head roaches better than dubias. None of my chams have ever had any interest in dubia, but the orange head juveniles have this deep maroon color and move around a lot more, which seems to attract their attention better. They're also very easy to breed and can neither climb nor fly (even though adults do have wings). If you're wondering about how to get your cham to eat roaches consistently, I'd recommend giving them a try!

I mostly use crickets, orange heads, BSF/L, and silkworms. As was mentioned above, the more variety the better (y)

Loving these ideas! I’ve currently switched him to medium crickets (about 9-12) or 6-10 dubia ( and 1 hornworm. Currently he is getting hornworms almost daily for his medicine but his regular cricket/roach svhedule is consistent.

Personally, I like orange head roaches better than dubias. None of my chams have ever had any interest in dubia, but the orange head juveniles have this deep maroon color and move around a lot more, which seems to attract their attention better. They're also very easy to breed and can neither climb nor fly (even though adults do have wings). If you're wondering about how to get your cham to eat roaches consistently, I'd recommend giving them a try!

I mostly use crickets, orange heads, BSF/L, and silkworms. As was mentioned above, the more variety the better (y)

I need to try these, my guy will not eat dubias unless I hand feed him and let the roach crawl around on my hand.

I need to try these, my guy will not eat dubias unless I hand feed him and let the roach crawl around on my hand.

Yeah, my panther would not so much as look at a dubia when I had them! But he gets almost as excited for the orange heads as he does for superworms. And the babies are small enough to feed off to my carpet chameleons, too. They were a seriously worthwhile investment! The less crickets the better, imo. Nasty little devils.

One of my panthers wouldn’t even look at dubias, he’d pick around them when I mixed in other feeders to see if he’d eat one. He LOVES red runners, though! My colonies of ivory-headed and orange-headed roaches have either nymphs that are too small or adults that are too large for him, but my other panther LOVES the adults! They like their roaches more than hornworms, and that’s saying something!

Last edited:
Finally had an orange-headed the right size to give to my ambilobe! He raced over and liked it more than his red runners (his favorite)!

Generally we feed adults every other day. I am switching from dubias to orange heads. In the mean time, they eat mostly dubias and black soldier flies.

Back
Top Bottom