Dubia shortage?

timber64

I ordered a supply of dubia roaches online yesterday, but it took me several attempts to find a vendor with available inventory. Just wondering if feeder supplies tend to ebb and flow like this or is there something specific going on such as weather, pandemic, etc. that is causing the lack of supply? I guess my concern as a new VC owner is whether this is something I can expect in the future and need to plan for (i.e. starting my own breeding colony), or is this a unique instance?

Weather is specifically effecting shipping right now out of certain areas they are getting below freezing temps. Feeders do not survive shipping most of the time with these types of temps. I have seen this happen every winter the last 3 years since I started keeping chams. The Pandemic has mad it more difficult the last year with getting them delivered quickly because so many people are now ordering online. Some companies are taking even 2-3 weeks before orders get shipped. That has gotten better though I am only seeing a week delay at most.

They posted a message on their website indicating they're not taking new orders till perhaps Wednesday, and aren't letting anyone access the site!!
Yeah it is too cold there to ship. That is where I order from. I have found that I never let myself get low on feeders. As soon as I am down to about 2-3 weeks worth I always place orders. And I order from a few places to ensure I always have access.

I ordered a supply of dubia roaches online yesterday, but it took me several attempts to find a vendor with available inventory. Just wondering if feeder supplies tend to ebb and flow like this or is there something specific going on such as weather, pandemic, etc. that is causing the lack of supply? YesI guess my concern as a new VC owner is whether this is something I can expect in the future and need to plan for (i.e. starting my own breeding colony), or is this a unique instance?
Yes, all of the above. It's a commodity business of supply & demand.
On the flipside, there are also occasionally sales & surpluses.

I keep a small spreadsheet of vendors, quantities, sizes, prices, shipping, etc. with hotlinks, so when ordering time comes (~4 times a year), I go down the list, find the best deal at the time, and order accordingly.

Raising your own is always an option, but does take some further investment in time & resources, so may not make sense for everyone. YMMV.

My dubia colonies were not reproducing recently so I had to bump up the heat and fed them an orange and now I'm getting nymphs again. The orange was not gut load just given to the main colony. I only feed of the regular gutloaded nymphs. I would imagine suppliers may be having trouble maintaining the heat they need to maximize reproduction.

For me, heat, moisture, and protein are the big ones for growth and production in most roach species. When I upped the protein, I got many more nymphs and the roaches grew faster. Careful not to overdo it either though.

Yes, all of the above. It's a commodity business of supply & demand.
On the flipside, there are also occasionally sales & surpluses.

I keep a small spreadsheet of vendors, quantities, sizes, prices, shipping, etc. with hotlinks, so when ordering time comes (~4 times a year), I go down the list, find the best deal at the time, and order accordingly.

Raising your own is always an option, but does take some further investment in time & resources, so may not make sense for everyone. YMMV.
It's funny you mention spreadsheet, as I was thinking of doing the same thing as I typed the original post. I'm already starting to loose track of which vendors I bought what from. Any chance you wouldn't mind sharing your spreadsheet template with me (and the group)?

I also know I'll eventually get into breeding roaches myself, but just getting going with my first cham to begin with, so trying to take it slow and ease into things. I did buy a small storage container over the weekend and ordered some roaches, but my intent at this point is just to keep a large supply on hand.

I also know I'll eventually get into breeding roaches myself, but just getting going with my first cham to begin with, so trying to take it slow and ease into things. I did buy a small storage container over the weekend and ordered some roaches, but my intent at this point is just to keep a large supply on hand.
How many can one cham eat? :unsure:

I've used repurposed poly containers in the past—added some screen for ventilation and filled with TP tubes (works like cricket tubes). This one is 1/2 gal. size (out of rotation for cleaning).
It usually accommodates 200-250 1/2" dubias. YMMV.

1613568530640.jpeg

How many can one cham eat? :unsure:

I've used repurposed poly containers in the past—added some screen for ventilation and filled with TP tubes (works like cricket tubes). This one is 1/2 gal. size (out of rotation for cleaning).
It usually accommodates 200-250 1/2" dubias. YMMV.

View attachment 292920

This is with a medical scale accurate to 10mg:

adult banded cricket = .25g
male adult dubia = 1.50g
female adult dubia = 3.00g
adult superworm = .50g

Going by that, if my normal rate is 2 dozen crickets per week, thats 3 adult male dubia by nutrition content.

I tried a 1" nymph but it was 1.25g so i kinda gave up.

Back
Top Bottom