Dubia separation

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
To breed dubia, do you have to separate the baby ones and the adult ones? or can all sizes live in the same pen?

As they are similar to discoids, I believe babies and parents can stay in the same bin. I separate the babies out every now and then just to make it easier to grab them to feed without risking an adult touching me.
This is why I do not breed them... If the babies would just magically appear in their own container so I did not have to deal with the adults I would be fine. But ugggggg the adults creep me out sooooo bad.

This is why I do not breed them... If the babies would just magically appear in their own container so I did not have to deal with the adults I would be fine. But ugggggg the adults creep me out sooooo bad.
Usually the adults are as afraid of me as I am of them. I actually feel bad for them as they all huddle together on the farthest side from me as I steal their babies.

Also, how many dubias will I end up with? Because no one in the house wants hundreds of dubias in the span of months. I'm hoping for max 100 roaches at the same time. Do I just start with a very small number of roaches to begin with?

Also, how many dubias will I end up with? Because no one in the house wants hundreds of dubias in the span of months. I'm hoping for max 100 roaches at the same time. Do I just start with a very small number of roaches to begin with?
Google is our friend:
We estimate that females give birth to about 25 nymphs in the conditions common to home Dubia roach colonies. The actual number may be more or less, but 25 is a reasonable average.
https://dubiaroachdepot.com/guidance/dubia-roach-colony-start-size

Yes I saw that too but it said 20-40 nymphs per month. So like How many in total? How many months will they lay for?
Google is still your friend.
breeding dubia roaches
After I read a lot of articles, and watched a lot of videos on breeding dubias, and ran the numbers, I decided it wasn't economical for me with 1 or 2 lizards. It may be worthwhile for you or others.

EDIT: They eat a lot when they're growing, but slow down once they've reached full growth, cuz they're not turning those bugs into lizard as much or as fast. ;) This also went into my decision not to breed dubias.

This wasn't the question I thought it was. I thought it was going to be a how to question. I have a set of two buckets that I use to filter the large from the small. One bucket has nymph sized holes drilled in the bottom and sits inside a regular bucket. I just dump an egg crate of dubia, shake a little and the nymphs separate themselves.

This wasn't the question I thought it was. I thought it was going to be a how to question. I have a set of two buckets that I use to filter the large from the small. One bucket has nymph sized holes drilled in the bottom and sits inside a regular bucket. I just dump an egg crate of dubia, shake a little and the nymphs separate themselves.
ah i see what you thought the question was ;)

I have two large totes full of them and started with only 6 pairs. The large adults which are too big to feed off to cham goes to the turtles. You don't need to separate but does make it easier than picking through them if your a little freaked out by them.?

Back
Top Bottom