Dubia Roaches Do No Seem to be Eating?

cital

So I have a few hundred Dubia roaches in a large plastic bin with the top cut out to create a screen top. It is a little cooler where I am so I use a ceramic heat lamp to keep it warmer in the bin. I have about 5 large egg crates in there that they hide in and I put out fresh Bug Burger with Dino Fuel mixed in daily. However, I almost never see any of them eating... I can check in the middle of the night with all the lights out and nothing. I find a coupe dead in the bin each day, so no big die off or anything, but I am a little concerned. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance...

Try feeding them a overripe banana they may need more variety in their diet and I have been told a banana that is way past being eaten by most humans( think black peel) when the peel is removed and placed in with the Dubia roaches will be devoured by the colony with enthusiasm.

What is your heat set at? Keeping them around 85-95 degrees proves to provide optimum results. This is the heat they are used to in their natural environment and will be more active at this temp.

A couple dead every day is a lot!
Make sure these are not just molts, but if these are actual dead roaches something is wrong with the setting. I get maybe one dead a month.

I feed my Dubia oranges! And other veggies & bugburger! But mine breed like crazy when I give them oranges!

Dubia roaches aren't picky eaters and It's a bit surprising that they did not swarm the bug burger. I think you may be overfeeding. You really only need to offer them food about twice a week. They are very hardy and can survive a long time without any food.

Ok, I need to get an accurate high/low thermometer in the bin to see what my temp range is. I have a 100w ceramic heat lamp over the bin, not really sure what else the issue could be...

I have a 100w ceramic heat lamp over the bin, not really sure what else the issue could be...

If you have no thermometer, THAT could be your issue. Is yours on full blast at all times? A 100 watt ceramic heat emitter gets VERY VERY hot. I know this because I have a 150 watt ceramic heat emitter on my roaches and at full blast, it would cook them alive and probably melt the tub. 150 watts isn't that far off from 100 watts so I can imagine what a 100 watt on full blast would feel like.

This is why I have my 150 watt hooked up to a dimmer so that I can manually adjust the temperature of the bin at any given time, up or down, as the seasons change and my room gets slightly warmer or slightly colder. I use an infrared heat gun to check the temps all around my bin instead of just using a probe which only measure the temp in one specific spot.

Another possibility is dehydration. Consider putting some water crystals in the bin. Specially if the temps are running on the high side.

Another possibility is dehydration. Consider putting some water crystals in the bin. Specially if the temps are running on the high side.
Try ensuring the temperature range is in the low to mid 80s, give them oranges, and make sure your container is clean. My colony is fed mainly Harrisons pelleted bird food with oranges for a water source. I also give them bananas infrequently. I agree that if you are finding dead roaches every few days that is too many, unless your colony is many thousands of adults. Look at your temps, I have found that they seem to do best in the 80s colder and they don't breed well and are less active, warmer and they are very active but again don't seem to breed well.

If you have no thermometer, THAT could be your issue. Is yours on full blast at all times? A 100 watt ceramic heat emitter gets VERY VERY hot. I know this because I have a 150 watt ceramic heat emitter on my roaches and at full blast, it would cook them alive and probably melt the tub. 150 watts isn't that far off from 100 watts so I can imagine what a 100 watt on full blast would feel like.

This is why I have my 150 watt hooked up to a dimmer so that I can manually adjust the temperature of the bin at any given time, up or down, as the seasons change and my room gets slightly warmer or slightly colder. I use an infrared heat gun to check the temps all around my bin instead of just using a probe which only measure the temp in one specific spot.
I use 2 150 W ceramic bulbs and thereabout 6 to 18 inches away from the top of my Roach bin. I can also adjust the distance to my liking. I have a cool side of 85° and a hot side of 95. I don’t feel like the bulb is the problem, unless it’s directly on the bin.

Back
Top Bottom