Dubia question

jeff martin

I have searched but not found my question, I purchased about 100 dubias 3 months ago and still no breeding. What am i doing wrong. I must be dummer than a caveman because i have the correct set-up, I think ! Egg cartons with a base heater in a 5 gallon screened top tank. 85f-90f feeding them apples, bites and other fruits. still no new babies. Some have wings some don't. which one's are male and females. I mist them everyday to keep the humidity up, is this wrong ?

dont mist they dont need it, dont open their cage for a few days, and keep them in the dar, and you should notice some breeding.

Did you buy adult dubia? These critters take quite a long time to reach maturity, and they wont start to reproduce until then of course.

Darkness, 95 degrees or so, water cubes and gut load, wa-la! Babies. Males have wings. If you got sub adults, wait a bit, horney little devils are they.:D

Nick

Dont knock the dubia colony over and let loose a ton of those critters in your house. Jk. Yeah, once mature they will start breeding, and you will notice it more in the dark as mentioned above. I know one thing my chams love dubias. Good luck.

I started a new colony recently and they are breeding like crazy yet my temps are low. Try not to mess with them too much, only open the container to add food and water crystals. Don't disturb them too often. Darkness is key.

Add some roach chow or cricket chow and leave the food/water where the babies will be able to reach it (not in a dish that they can't climb into). Mine did better with the dry chow then other feeds. They mow down the water cubes like crazy, I'm adding water far more then food. My temps are only 80 deg with a heating pad under the container and I got babies galore! I started with 10 adults, male and female. They do take time, they live a long time so things are slower with them then crickets.

While growing the colony, give them some protein (dog food, cat food kibble, cooked egg, fish flake food).

Note: Do not feed this stuff to them when you start using them for the chameleons.

Ok great advice, Last night i went to feed the roaches and notice one of them laying some sorta big tube looking thing, right out the back end. LOL ! I know this sounds funny, but thats what it looked like. Is that the young ? I thought they bear live young ? I also took someone advive and put more cartons in and made them vertical.

Looks like you are going to have some babies soon. That "big tube looking thing" is the females egg sack they exert it out of their body to let it dry up a bit and then soon enough you will have some live barring babies. Congrats!

-Clemonde

Is there any trick to getting the Cham to eat these buggers, My panther is 8 months old and good sized compared to some i have seen, He is a "torch" Sambava beauty. I don't see him eating any. I have a 1/2 gallon milk jug feeder with mesh wire on back and the super worms climb up the back and wammo he nails and eats them, I have three Dubia's in the jug most of the day and he walked past them several times and didn't eat any, I took out the dubia's and put in three supeworms and he consumed all three is 5 minutes. I don't want him to go hungry, but should i just give him dubia's until he eats them. :confused:

Here he is. Crappy picture but a picture, all my good one's are too big of a file.

Attachments

• baby Gizmo 010.jpg
    baby Gizmo 010.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom