Dubia heating experience

Sticktongue

Avid Member
So i'm looking for some options on dubia colonies. I have had a colony before and used heat pads on 24/7 but they really didn't breed that fast. I dont think it was quite hot enough.

The person i just bought a very large colony from said he uses heat tape to keep it 90+. So you more experienced roach keepers, is this the best way you've found as well? Just looking for some other options i could look into as well.

At first I tried keeping a basking light aimed at the side of the tub.

I then moved them into the same closet as my water heater, and had great success, without any additional "work".

Id recommend trying to find a warm closet from my experience.

hi I have a small colony of about 100 adults 300 juveniles and 200 babies. I've only had it for about a couple of months the only heat they get is from a lamp about 10" from the top.

should I consider other heating alternative?

I have the heat tape set at about 105 deg and the temp in the tub is 95ish. They breed like rabbits.

Actually, Rabbits dont even breed this fast!!

On the other hand, unless you're selling them what will you do with so many roaches?

I feed an average of 6 a day (medium) I don't touch the big mommas. if they bread at a normal steady pace I should be ok, right? (honest question) do you think I'll ever run out?

just wondering...

Yes Flexx Watt is the way to go, just be sure and get the controller with it (they say it is safer). You just need to be sure you get a container with a smooth bottom so that the heat transfers smoothly, most of the bigger plastic containers have all sorts of ridges with high and low spots that don't work well at all.

Flexwatt heat tape all the way,cheep,works fantastic !!! I use the 11 inch wide and then cut to fit the length to the shelf size I want to heat. I have about 30 feet in use now and will be adding more!!! Incubatorwarehouse is the best place I've found so far!

Back
Top Bottom