dubia getting lose and running a muck

I also have been thinking of getting some. Is there a certain size or age of the Cham that is best to start them on dubias? My panther is 3 months.... Very small and I can only get him to eat small crix. I'd they get bigger he won't touch them, he seems to be getting tired of crix but I've tried meal worms....once again won't touch them. How big are the dubias? I also have some flightless fruit flies but the problem is I don't think he finds them and maybe they are escaping! I always see one on the outside, they can fit through the screen! I've seen it, so I don't want to have those all in the house! Any suggestions an good feeders for baby panthers in that age range?

Seriously, there nothing to it. Set them up give them some egg crate and feed em'. I have a night heat light on them too to keep them warm since they are in the garage though.

a 3 month old panther can eat the newly born nymphs. You can probably find someone on here with nymphs.
I would not use meal worms on him at all though. You can also try small silk worms.

Im not sure on the lobster roaches. I know I went with the dubias just cause of how highly recommended they were and the fact that they dont climb.

a 3 month old panther can eat the newly born nymphs. You can probably find someone on here with nymphs.
I would not use meal worms on him at all though. You can also try small silk worms.

That's a new one on me! What is a nymph?......I'm still new at this! :) Ok I'll ditch meal worms! He doesn't even look at them anyway!

Dubias cannot climb or fly. And unless you live in an area that has a climate like South America, the roaches won't survive let alone breed if they were to escape.

But don't the males have wings? What are they just for show and no go?

Syn is right they can't actually fly. They can sort of glide but if I remember correctly the wings are mainly their for courting the females

Im trying to talk the wife (cough, cough, yes i got married) into letting me have dubias.

But she is worried they might escape and breed since crickets have gotten out of our cages before..

I told her i would post this on the forums and she is going to read the responses and let me know if she approves or disapproves the roaches

lol

:)

So what are the chances of our house getting infested with dubias?

Man I have to say I had the same problems with crickets I couldn't stand having 100+ adult crickets in the house. With their sounds and that stinky smell. My wife didn't want anything with the name "roach" in the house and rather deal with the noise and crickets. Then I asked like you did here and got some really awesome replies and I let her know and she said ok but a small amount to see how it goes. So I got 4 of each adult and some juvis and haven't had a problem at all. No smell no jumping, no noise it's awesome they just hide in the very bottom of the tank and breed like mad men lol.

I made a blog might help not sure. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sancho/91-do-yourself-dubia-roaches.html

It's been about 7 months now since I got the dubia's and I now have over 1000+ I think with all the breeding that is going on. Just get like a 20 gallon fish take with one of those reptile screen covers add some egg crates and a food and water bowl and get a inferred light for heat and let the party start. She will thank you down the road for there being no noise or smell.

Yes, they can fly.
Check 0:45

But, so far, unless your house has proper temp, plus food and water lying around everywhere, i do not see them to be capable of infestation.

Lobster roaches on the other hand....

Last edited:
Do any of you use teflon paint on your roach tubs? I use one called Fluon ADI,
its great stuff, you need use so little a single bottle last about a year.
It dries white/opague. you paint it around the inner rim ofthe tub a few inches wide.
You can do the same on the outside too (stops those annoying tiny black ants getting in).

Its pretty much the stuff they use in the coating of non-stick kitchen pans, for verticle surfaces. Its very slippery and the roaches cant climb it. Much cleaner and neater than PJ or similar and quite cheap given a bottle might last a year. (you only need repaint when it becomes scuffed.

Ive been using it for years!

http://www.entosupplies.com.au/index.phtml?path=1_3_7_169

I like the idea. I would love to see ants keep falling trying to eat the feeders in my cricket bin.
But, eep 58 dollars?
Anybody know a cheaper source?:D

When I was in Cabo last week a roach flew into the room and landed on my shoulder!! I was freaked out and had thought my friend threw something at me.. When I turned my head I see this antenna right in front of my face. I jumped like a little sissy and it was a HUGE ROACH!! looks exactly like a DUBIA. It was flying all over the place from one wall to another and each time it landed theres a huge smacking noise! again looks exactly like DUBIA but I've never seen my fly around at all???

Back
Top Bottom