Dubia feeding tactics

RyanBRZ

Avid Member
When I first got my chameleon his main feeder was dubia's, he used to go through 15-20 a day. I would put them in a container with a side cut out which had a piece of screen that the roaches would hang out on. He would wake up, go directly to this and feed away, every day, it was great. I decided to switch up his diet and began giving him superworms for a week or two. When I tried to back to dubia's, he would not eat them from the container any more. He would literally starve himself for days. The only way I was able to get him to go after them is by putting one the screen side wall of my reptibreeze pretty much right in front of him. I've since made crickets/superworms his staple and I'd like to make dubia his staple with crickets/supers/hornworms/silkworms mixed in.

What do you guys do to feed dubia's? My colony has been doing well for for around 3 months and I want to start feeding them off .. primarily because I hate dealing with crickets.

When I first got my chameleon his main feeder was dubia's, he used to go through 15-20 a day. I would put them in a container with a side cut out which had a piece of screen that the roaches would hang out on. He would wake up, go directly to this and feed away, every day, it was great. I decided to switch up his diet and began giving him superworms for a week or two. When I tried to back to dubia's, he would not eat them from the container any more. He would literally starve himself for days. The only way I was able to get him to go after them is by putting one the screen side wall of my reptibreeze pretty much right in front of him. I've since made crickets/superworms his staple and I'd like to make dubia his staple with crickets/supers/hornworms/silkworms mixed in.

What do you guys do to feed dubia's? My colony has been doing well for for around 3 months and I want to start feeding them off .. primarily because I hate dealing with crickets.
Good luck with this. Beman loved dubia at first and then went on strike. I tried handfeeding, cup feeding, holding one up to him, putting them on the screen near him, putting them on their back so they move more.... everything I could think of and no go for 5 weeks. I finally gave up a few days ago and sold them to the pet store. So now I am feeding silk worms, crickets, BSFL, superworms, and hornworms 2 times a week. He is backing off of crickets now though. Seems like he doesn’t want anything with legs.

I have a feeling I will end up selling this colony. Mine slowed down a bit with crickets, too. At first he was clearing his cage out, now when I get home from work I still find a bunch hanging out near where his basking light is.

I have a feeling I will end up selling this colony. Mine slowed down a bit with crickets, too. At first he was clearing his cage out, now when I get home from work I still find a bunch hanging out near where his basking light is.
Yeah I always cup fed feeders at first. When he was little for the first month I was not as knowledgeable and still trying to learn everything so I was feeding a ton of crickets and he would pick them all off. Then I introduced dubia and BSFL and he stopped eating crickets. Then I ordered 150 dubia because he was still eating about 10 a day.... yeah big mistake. He stopped eating Dubia about 5 weeks ago so I introduced superworms and silkworms as well as adding back in crickets just in case lol. He now picks off the BSFL, Silkworms, and superworms and leaves the crickets.... At least I only have about 30 crickets right now though. Trying to read his mind has become my daily routine lol.

Most of the time you'll notice cricket and roach strikes go along with feeding supers and other tasty worms. Our chams will hunger strike for longer than most of us feel comfortable with, leading to us giving in and feeding what they want. I like feeding BSFL, supers, and other worms though so I just sneak a roach in my chams mouth once and awhile when he's chewing up a worm.

I slipped a dubia in and got the look of death, don't know why?? They must be distasteful in some way..to the chams of course!!

Back
Top Bottom