Dubia colony

Separating them is a good idea. You can feed them what ever works as long as you have them on a chameleon safe diet for a week or so before you feed them off!

The lady I get them from feeds them all organic veggies and stuff from her garden so I'm not worried about feeding them once I get them. She doesn't use dog/cat food or water crystals because she feeds all her reptiles too.

I'd keep mine altogether, but it's your call. Purging roaches doesn't really work because my understanding is they store uric acid, so it's good they're fed well already.

It depends on if you will be feeding them anything different? Fluker's diet would be fine technically just use a bit, it's not detrimental just not useful. But right now you just want some frass build up

It depends on if you will be feeding them anything different? Fluker's diet would be fine technically just use a bit, it's not detrimental just not useful. But right now you just want some frass build up
What what dry food should I use?

There are a lot out there, if you don't make your own, do something like bug buffet mixed with a bottle of superload, 1-2 pounds of bug buffet can be mixed with an entire bottle of superload. If you are really into buy a bit of cricket crack too.

There are a lot out there, if you don't make your own, do something like bug buffet mixed with a bottle of superload, 1-2 pounds of bug buffet can be mixed with an entire bottle of superload. If you are really into buy a bit of cricket crack too.

I'd love to make my own but I don't have the slightest idea of what to put in it. If you leave it up to me I'm going to put hamburger, ribs, French fries and chicken in it. You're talking to the guy who put dirt in his dubia bin remember....

Also... since you guys are letting me pick your brains about this.

Do you guys just toss your greens.. carrots, oranges, sweet potatoes and the like right into the bottom of that bin or do you use a little feeding trey

TD,

For what it's worth, I feed my dubia greens, carrots, oranges. bananas tec., by placing one of the fruits or veggies in the bin. They disappear in a day or two. I'll wait a few days and then take a look in the fridge and pick a new fruit or veg. In the winter, my dubia eat seedless naval oranges exclusively, as they are abundant in my yard. I gut load the rest of the bugs with other fruits (not oranges) and veggies that will benefit good old Lucky.

I generally toss them in. if you have a small eggcrate I actually recommend using that as a kind of shelf to allow small nymphs easy access and such.

@Andee @Matt Vanilla Gorilla @jamest0o0

I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer my questions.... got one more for you ;)

As a tortoise keeper I have zero need for, therefore zero knowledge about under tank heating pads and or heat tape/rope.

Which do you prefer and why?

I kind of like the idea of the tape because I can heat a larger area... I can wrap 3 sides with tape which it think would work great as long as I don't go more that 50% of the length of the bin. Is it reliable or will I need to be replacing it all the damn time?

No matter which route I take I'll have it hooked up to a Zilla t-stat.

I don't think you need that much heat tape, a decent sized heat pad will allow more natural thermo regulation for the roaches. My preferred ones of all time are reusable and are low wattage. Flex watt, you want to buy them from some place like reptile basics, they have the correct type instead of the fake stuff.

I don't think you need that much heat tape, a decent sized heat pad will allow more natural thermo regulation for the roaches. My preferred ones of all time are reusable and are low wattage. Flex watt, you want to buy them from some place like reptile basics, they have the correct type instead of the fake stuff.
What do you mean fake stuff?

there are fake heat tape companies out there that aren't flex watt and are known for over heating easier. They are usually silver in color.

I don't use heat tape or anything like that, I use a energy efficient space heater on a shelf that's covered with insulation to keep heat in. Used to use a closet

I'm still totally undecided if I'm gonna heat my little 9x6 bug room with a high efficiency oil radiator or use flex watt. I have a lot of flex watt on hand from my snake breeding days, but I like the idea of only having to deal with one heater.

Back
Top Bottom