Dubia Colony

Virgil1972

Avid Member
I was thinking of starting a colony and was wondering how many I would need to keep to keep a self sustaining number of roaches while feeding one male veiled.

A dubia colony for one cham is going to be tough.I started mine with 5 adult males and 10 adult females. I started feeding 2 chams and 1 bearded dragon out of it after 3 months. When I need to thin the population I give some to other friends that have reptiles.

Check craiglist in your area. I got a starter colony and many feeders for very cheap. I have one Cham. I apply no extra heat to my colony and it gives me more than I'll even need

While on the subject, how many can fit comfortably in a 10gal? I've got about 50 near adults and 50 small/medium sized ones in there now, hoping they multiply. I don't really have room for a full tote and the 10gal was handy.

While on the subject, how many can fit comfortably in a 10gal? I've got about 50 near adults and 50 small/medium sized ones in there now, hoping they multiply. I don't really have room for a full tote and the 10gal was handy.
Couple thousand of various sizes
No need to keep so many breeding adults

Couple thousand of various sizes
No need to keep so many breeding adults
Just recently got them, there's only one winged male and 6-7 females his size, the rest are almost adults. Waiting to confirm breeding before I feed off some of the big ones. Thanks!

I just mentioned to Wifey that I saw someone offering them on kijiji (they are illegal here) and she wasn't too happy. I got told! :(

I want/need to establish a colony before I get a Cham.....Watching, looking for advise as well.

3 to 1 ratio is what I've been advised. I've gone this route for several moths and recently sold off many of my nymphs. With one male start small and before long, you'll be selling off males like they're on fire.

You all said good stuff but I was looking for a number. How many roaches minimum do I need to maintain a healthy breeding colony while feeding one male veiled?

You all said good stuff but I was looking for a number. How many roaches minimum do I need to maintain a healthy breeding colony while feeding one male veiled?
I would start with 30 females and 10 males. Keep them at 88-92 and feed them a lot, you will have a ton of roaches.

Back
Top Bottom