Dubia Colony Cost?

ReqRep

Hey all, does any one know what the general start up cost for a Dubia colony is? There's someone locally who's selling a colony that he's had going for 3 years. There's apparently several dozen adults and a few hundred nymphs. It includes: egg flats, food, water gel, heat mat and storage tub. He's asking $100 for it, but I feel like I could haggle him down some. Is $100 a fair price for this? If not, what would be?

Thanks!

I feel only several dozen adults at that price makes no sense. You aren't going to be paying more than $5 for a used one, egg flats would be not worth anything if used, depending on the heat mat depends on how much worth it is, several dozen isn't a good number, especially if he doesn't include a female to male ratio. And a few hundred dubia nymphs are worth like 10-20 dollars at MOST. If he's had it for 3 years why is there so few nymphs and adults is my real question? Is the colony unhealthy?

That's exactly why I asked about it! I know very little about Dubia colonise as far as pricing or average growth rate is concerned. I'll just start my my own then.

I mean breeding females are often sold at 2 dollars a piece (When healthy) and males can be $1-$1.50. I tend to price my adults a bit low because my colony is always exploding with lots of adults and babies and I am never low.

Do you have dubia? I can walk through how to raise them to adults and then you just kind of keep going of course.

You could easily buy some starter breeders(around 10/25 will get you started depending on what you are feeding and how quickly you want the colony to start) and around 100 nymphs if you want, that would work. A rubbermaid bin with a ventilation opening and some bug screening duct taped to the top will work fine. A heat pad taped to the side in my opinion, the best is Flexwatt heatpads. Other than that egg flats or crates will be fine of course ^^. I end up collecting egg crates over time. I also recommend getting a cleaner crew down the road. And as for water necessities I just use fresh fruit, veggies and greens.

What would be for the cleanup crew?

Like the cost? Or the insects? I know at least one of the insects I use in the cleaner crew can be fed off (they are small, lesser mealworms and have a higher complete protein content, a smidge less fat, and less chitin as regular mealworms, so it would likely be safe to feed them a couple times a week.) ^^

Back
Top Bottom